MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Bad Video Frame

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J JordanBad Video Frame
by on Jul 29, 2005 at 9:30:02 pm

I keep getting the message "Could not play because of a bad video frame", and my monitor goes pink. I get this on all projects, and using different drives etc. I am assuming it is a hardware problem. I am using a Dual G5, with a Magma expansion Chassis. M100 v 8.22.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,

J Jordan

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Bad Video Frame
by on Jul 29, 2005 at 9:39:10 pm

I think it is an hardware problem, but most likely not a damaged P6000 card. Do you have a Lossless capable P6000? There can be problems with non-lossless capable P6000 boards in a G5/chassis configuration. Are your boards placed as described in the CPG? Do you have a matching QT/OS combination? What kind of drives do you use (SCSI? FireWire? FibreChannel?) Have you installed the latest drivers for your storage card? What chassis do you use?

Return to posts index

J JordanRe: Bad Video Frame
by on Jul 30, 2005 at 10:26:48 pm

All good questions. I will have to look into them on Monday.

Thanks Floh

Return to posts index

Thomas HughesRe: Bad Video Frame
by on Aug 1, 2005 at 10:05:25 pm

We get that message somewhat regularly. We try different things to work around it. I'll take note of what drive the problem media is digitized to and I'll dump the media and digitize it to another drive. That sometimes solves it.

Sometimes I'll just reboot and that will take care of it.

With most of the problems we encounter, I tell my guys to not take the time to figure it out and understand it, just respect the voodoo and try a handful of different work-arounds. Good luck.

Return to posts index

by on Aug 1, 2005 at 6:31:23 pm

I think it is an hardware problem, but most likely not a damaged P6000 card. Do you have a Lossless capable P6000?
No

Are your boards placed as described in the CPG?
I have the Magma Adapter card in the top slot on my G5, Is that slot 4? Then Yes

Do you have a matching QT/OS combination?
Yes

What kind of drives do you use (SCSI? FireWire? FibreChannel?)
Firewire and Firewire 800

Have you installed the latest drivers for your storage card?
I'm not sure what a storage card is?

What chassis do you use?
Magma 4 slots.

Thanks again floh.

Return to posts index

RobMRe: Bad Video Frame
by on Aug 2, 2005 at 12:52:18 am

[Thomas Hughes] "respect the voodoo and try a handful of different work-arounds"

There's no voodoo about it. BVF are usually caused by one of a few things:
http://support.media100.com/KBSearch/kbDocument.aspx?id=33

Floh is correct, in this case it's compatiblity with the board. To successfully use a G5/expansion chassis, you need a lossless-capable P6000 (although lossless itself doesn't actually work in a chassis/G5) otherwise you will likely get BVF errors.

For more info, see the CPG:
http://support.media100.com/CPGs/default.aspx

on p. 3
"Non-Lossless P6000 Boards are not compatible with the G5/Expansion Chassis
you are interested in upgrading your system to a PowerMac G5, please contact your
100 office for board upgrade information, or to see if you board is compatible."

Return to posts index

by on Aug 4, 2005 at 4:30:17 pm

Yes I read that. I wish the sales rep at Media 100 would have told me that before she helped me get the expansion Chassis for $600. That's almost the cost of a used Dual G4.

Thanks for yur help.

J Jordan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]