MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

1 Frame out when Mastering to Tape

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Johnson1 Frame out when Mastering to Tape
by on Jul 26, 2005 at 12:20:16 pm

Has anybody come across the issue of when mastering to tape, the edit in starts 1 frame out. For example, when starting the timeline at 10.00.00.00 & selecting 1min of black from the leaders & trailers, when the edit starts it starts at 10.00.00.01. If i make my own colour bars to start at 9.58.00.00 everything is still a frame out. I've tried reinstalling the OS to 10.4, new keyspan, different decks, even another M100 board. Nothing seems to work.

G5 2.5Ghz
2.5Ghz Ram
OS X 10.4
M100 10.1.2

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

FlohRe: 1 Frame out when Mastering to Tape
by on Jul 26, 2005 at 12:26:48 pm

Are you using crash record? This is not frame accurate. Only "Insert Edit" and "Assemble" is supposed to be frame accurate, and has been for us always. Which deck are you using? Is your decks capstain lock set to 4FD or 8 FD set accidentally?

Return to posts index

Bob JohnsonRe: 1 Frame out when Mastering to Tape
by on Jul 26, 2005 at 2:03:53 pm

We have tried both insert & assembly edit using a pre -striped tape & this still causes the problem. The deck is a Sony DSR 1500AP with SDI option. I will look in the manual to find out about the Capstain lock.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Stephen BullRe: 1 Frame out when Mastering to Tape
by on Nov 16, 2005 at 8:00:59 am

Hi,

I seem to be having the exact same issue with our Media 100 HD system. When mastering a HD 1080 (25FPS) program to a Sony HDW M2000P HDCAM recorder, we are getting a 1 frame difference between the program and the mastered tape. Our program which begins at 00:01:30:00 in our timeline is being recorded to tape at 00:01:30:01. The vision and audio that is recorded appears to be in sync, it is just 1 frame later then it should be.

This is a rental deck and i didn't have much time to trouble shoot this issue, but i was hoping if i ran through the settings i used maybe someone could check if my workflow is correct. This is the same work flow I previously used with our Media 100i XR system and Digital Betacam VTRs and we had no timecode problems at all.

- Video is connected via HD-SDI
- Audio is connected via Analog XLR
- Deck Control via RS-422 cable
- Audio output is synced to SDI 1

- I set both "LTC" and "VITC" to on
- I then set the TC generator to "Preset" and "Internal" whilst i manually record 10-20 seconds of black video to the start of tape (Starting at 00:00:00:00)
- I then set the TC generator back to "Regen" and "Internal"

- I then select in and out points in the timeline starting at 00:00:10:00 and finishing at the end of the program

- I then go to the "Master to tape" window and:
- Set "Assemble Edit" as the mode
- Set "Selection" as the range
- I then select "timecode" from the destination drop down menu and Media 100 then sets the Edit in to "00:00:10:00" and Edit Out to end of the program.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback that anyone can offer.

Thanks in Advance

Stephen Bull

Dual 2.3GHz G5
Mac OSX 10.4.2
Media 100 HD 10.1.2
4GB Ram
Apple Fibre Channel Card
SanMan 8TB Fibre Channel Raid
Keyspan USB Serial Adapter with V1.8 Driver

Return to posts index

by on Nov 16, 2005 at 9:58:33 am

Stephen,

we have seen this problem also. Maybe you should set your deck to 50i, since that

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2005 at 2:31:41 am

Thanks for the quick response Floh,

It is reassuring to know im not the only one experiencing this. (I think)

I had the deck set to 1080/50i, it was the media 100 timeline that was 25fps, so i don't think this is the problem.

The next time i hire the deck i will try adjusting the "Edit in" timecode to 1 frame before the "Range In" Timecode and see if this fixes the problem. I would love to hear how you go with the tests on your deck.

I will also try posting this in the HD forum, but could we be looking at a possible Media 100HD bug?

Cheers

Steve

Return to posts index

by on Nov 17, 2005 at 7:09:31 am

[Stephen Bull] "I will also try posting this in the HD forum, but could we be looking at a possible Media 100HD bug?"

Yes, most likely this is a bug in Media 100 HD.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 28, 2005 at 5:24:39 pm

Stephen,

we got our HDW-M2000P and I did some digitizing and mastering tests. As you have noticed, in the default setting the deck does not master frame accurate, and it also does digitize one frame off (compared to your TC on the tape).
But if you set the "Digitize Frame Offset" in the "Deck Specific options" to -1 you can digitize and master frame accurate as you would expect it.
To set this option, go to Preferences->Device Control and hold Shift, CTRL and Command (Apple) while clicking on the "Configure" button. This way you get the "Deck-Specific Options" and there you can adjust the Digitizing Frame offset to -1.

Hope this helps,

Floh

Return to posts index

by on Apr 13, 2006 at 7:56:12 am

Thanks for your suggestion Floh,

Sorry for the delay in response, but we currently don't own a Sony HDCAM VTR so i haven't been able to try your idea on my system until now. Unfortunately changing the "Digitize Frame Offset" in the "Deck Specific options" did not resolve the issue we are having, but it did help me to figure out what is going on........

I did some testing today with Media 100 HD 10.1.4 and a rental Sony HDWM2000P and it looks like whenever i go to insert or assemble edit, Media 100 HD is duplicating the 1st frame that is to be recorded. So the 1st edit is in the correct time code position, but because it is a duplicate, the remaining shots are all 1 frame out. This 1 frame duplicate really sticks out when the shot being inserted has any sort of movement in it.

Have anyone noticed anything similar with their Media 100 HD systems??

Cheers

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]