MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Xserve RAID Setup Issues

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Johnson
Xserve RAID Setup Issues
on Jul 21, 2005 at 8:09:56 am

Hi, i'm trying to set up an Xserve RAID to work with Media 100 HD. I'm using a 4.4TB (14 Bay) with 512MB cache on each controller, & capturing into M100 at 10-bit HD 1080i. It starts to capture for about 10-20secs & then you can see the activity lights on the Raid drop & M100 reports that recording difficulities have occured, please select a faster drive.
I'm also using an ATTO 22XH dual fibre card, that has the latest drivers & firmware's installed from atto's website. It seems that something is stoping the RAID as it attempts to capture & then loses bandwidth.
I've also tried capturing at standard SD 10-bit & that captures without any problems, it's only when you capture on full HD 10-bit.
I've gone through the fibre card setup & RAID Admin & all the cache is enabled & the write cache, so now i'm a little lost. I hope that this is easy to fix.....

Thanks in advance for any help..

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Xserve RAID Setup Issues
by
on Jul 21, 2005 at 3:53:33 pm

Are you using the latest Firmware and drivers for the ATTO card? And how are your XServe RAID drives initialized? You should create 2 RAID5 sets (one for each channel) across all drives on the channel, and then stripe them together with RAID0 to create a RAID50 set.

Return to posts index

Bob Johnson
on Jul 21, 2005 at 4:31:00 pm

I have downloaded the latest firware & drivers from Atto's web site & even tried using the older drivers. At the moment the unit is set up as 4 x raid5 slices (2 on each controller). These are then all striped in disk utility to give on 4.4TB. I will look further into the raid set-up. If you have any more advance that would be appreciated.

thanks

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jul 21, 2005 at 4:36:01 pm

[Bob Johnson] "At the moment the unit is set up as 4 x raid5 slices (2 on each controller). "

Why have you done that? I doubt that this is helpful for the performance. How many drives are per RAID5 stripe? 3 with one as hot-spare? Probably this causes your performance problems. If you don

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
on Jul 21, 2005 at 11:37:57 pm

Floh, you've mentioned in the past that you've experienced flakiness with arrays set up as one big partition, and that you would recommend two or more smaller partitions rather than one large partition? I've got a 5.6 TB Xserve RAID, and that was one of your suggestions when I was having some issues with digitizing...

Return to posts index

Bob Johnson
on Jul 26, 2005 at 12:14:13 pm

Thank you all for your help, the RAID is now working. After many hours of speaking with Apple, they have sent us a updated driver for the raid & everything works like a dream.

Thanks Again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]