MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Editing Media 100i on a powerbook.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg
Editing Media 100i on a powerbook.
by
on Jul 12, 2005 at 11:48:24 pm

I'm considering buying a powerbook so I can edit when I'm away from my office. Most often I edit from Beta SP or Digital S. I currently edit on Media 100i 8.21 system. I've been contracted by a client to work in their corporate facility 3-4 days a week. However, I'd love to be able to edit or finish up projects started on my media 100

Is there a way towork portably with a powerbook on Media 100? Would Media 100 SW be the solution? How would I do this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Editing Media 100i on a powerbook.
by
on Jul 13, 2005 at 9:10:26 am

[Greg] "Is there a way towork portably with a powerbook on Media 100? Would Media 100 SW be the solution? How would I do this? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!"

Media 100 sw could be a solution for this, but you have to be aware of some things. Currently Media 100 sw has no video I/O, so you only can monitor your video in the viewer window (a FireWire I/O is in the works). So if you are going back to tape you have to export a ref or self-contained file from sw and reimport that into Media 100 i. Media 100 i cannot open timelines from Media 100 sw, while Media 100 sw can read Media 100 i timelines, bins and projects, plus their media files. So once you have moved a project from Media 100 i to sw you have to finish it on sw.
And one thing you should try for yourself is the performance of sw with Media 100 i clips. The Media 100 i codec is very processor intense compared to codecs like DV, and it is optimized for G5 and dual processor systems. So depending on your PowerBook configuration the use of Media 100 i media can be slower than on your Media 100 i system (although it usually is much faster on Dual processor G5 systems). On my old PowerBook G4 800MHz it is nearly impossible to work with Media 100 i media, while it works nicely on a iMac G5 1.8. A G4 PowerBook with 1.67GHz probably is a little bit slower than the iMac...

Return to posts index

John Buck
Re: Editing Media 100i on a powerbook.
on Jul 13, 2005 at 10:26:22 pm

greg, as floh rightly points out, there are a few technical hurdles to jump in order for sw to work for you but i have filed tested hw on a laptop and it worked really well.

the two things to watch are min 1GB ram in laptop and having to digitse using a firewire app like imovie or fcp. oops make that three - no BOB for monitoring - so you need to play to tape for screening

once sw goes commercial i believe the firewire i/o will be sorted.
all you need to do then is convince your client to buy M100 HD and you're set!

john

Return to posts index

Greg
Re: Floh and John
by
on Jul 14, 2005 at 2:40:11 am

Thanks you two. Not the info I hoped for. Any advice on how to keep editing on my media 100 yet be able to work while away from my suite. My client has FCP. I'd love to be able to work on my shows when I'm there babysitting their facility. That's why I'm considering a Powerbook. Any other advice? Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]