MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

I need to upgrade, please help

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenny
I need to upgrade, please help
on Jun 25, 2005 at 12:01:53 am

Hi folks, I haven't been here in ages as I have been plugging along with my M100ixr/xs P6000 7.3 version on a G4/733 for the last few years editing weddings without problems. I have been a loyal M100 user since the Nubus WholeDeal days and have liked the easy of use that the M100 offered. Even though I thought the prices and service stunk.

Now I am growing tired of editing my four camera shoots on my two video lines. I have researched and planned to jump ship to FCP and G5 but am scared of the learning curve. Trust me, I learn this stuff slower than others. Just before I jump, was wondering if M100 had any thing to offer me with four or more tracks, still easy to use at a reasonable price. Their website doesn't help me much.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you.

-Jenny

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: I need to upgrade, please help
by
on Jun 25, 2005 at 8:30:55 am

As usual it highly depends of what you want to do, but Media 100 HD and Media 100 sw (the upcoming software only version with FireWire I/O) have many realtime video tracks integrated into the Media 100 i timeline. Media 100 sw can be downloaded currently as a free beta version, still without I/O but you can use material digitized in Media 100 i (or FCP/iMovie) to get a feeling if this works for you. For working with various camera angles it is really a good tool, plus I wrote a little applescript that allows some basic multicam options. I will post this script for free as soon as the documentation is finished ;-)

Return to posts index

Jenny
on Jun 25, 2005 at 12:49:23 pm

Thank you. Do you know what the cost will be and when it will be avaiable?

Return to posts index

Jenny
on Jun 25, 2005 at 10:09:03 pm

If I upgrade to version 8.2 will that get me 4 videotracks?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chad Valk
on Jun 27, 2005 at 2:40:04 pm

Version 8.2 still only has the 2 video tracks. SW and HD are the only versions that offer the expansion of video tracks.

Chad E. Valk
Assistant Director,
Video Production
Central CT State University

Return to posts index

Jenny
on Jun 27, 2005 at 2:51:56 pm

Thank you Chad :(

Return to posts index

Steve Bayes
on Jun 27, 2005 at 7:02:01 pm

Jenny,

Download the sw trial version and use it on your next project. It is fully functional until it times out and should allow you to work with your existing Media 100 media (or media captured with iMovie). The price will be under $1k when it ships in Q4.

To get a sense of all the new features and functions on Media 100 HD, go back to the website and click on the button for the Media 100 Interactive tour. Sit back and enjoy the particularly smooth voice over talent ;-)

BTW where did you look first on the website for the info on the new products that you could not find the product info you wanted?

Steve Bayes
Director of Marketing/Product Marketing
Media 100/Optibase

Return to posts index

BigWoolyDog
on Jun 27, 2005 at 9:10:58 pm

Unfortunately, if she's still working only with her G4/733, the sw trial version isn't going to do her much good. It's definitely optimized for G5; I can't even get the old 640x480 M100 tutorial footage to playback smoothly on my G4/1.25 with 1.25GB ram.
Jenny if you haven't already, you might want to think about getting the G5 first, before making your software decision.

Bob England

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 27, 2005 at 9:29:40 pm

[BigWoolyDog] "Unfortunately, if she's still working only with her G4/733, the sw trial version isn't going to do her much good. It's definitely optimized for G5; I can't even get the old 640x480 M100 tutorial footage to playback smoothly on my G4/1.25 with 1.25GB ram."

While large parts of Media 100 HD and sw are optimized for G5s and dual processor machines you can work with a single CUP G4 system in many areas. Unfortunately some of the areas that need most CPU power is the use of Media 100 i media, and especially "old" square pixel media. All the decompression usually done on the P6000 board now has to happen on the CPU, and with 640 media not only decompression but also rescaling/transformation to 720. You probably would see much better framerates/response with e.g. DV material on a single CPU G4 than with Media 100 i 640 media.

Return to posts index

Jenny
on Jun 27, 2005 at 9:51:07 pm

Thanks to everybody for your help.

If I go with either the sw or HD, do I still need my P6000 M100i/xr and is it an upgrade to my board or is it just software such as FCP?

I am happy to buy a G5 2.7 I want the ease and familiarity of M100 without paying too much. A n ew G5 and $1000 is an easy choise to make. Is the $1000 for sw for everyone or just for upgrades and what will the approx cost estimated date for HD?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 27, 2005 at 10:43:39 pm

[Jenny] "If I go with either the sw or HD, do I still need my P6000 M100i/xr and is it an upgrade to my board or is it just software such as FCP?"

Media 100 sw (currently in a free open beta downloadable from Media 100) will be a software only, DV-supporting Media 100 application. You either can use your material digitized in Media 100 i, in FCP, iMovie or (as soon as it is implemented) from your FireWire input.

Media 100 HD is software & hardware, available today and as Media 100 sw supporting both media files captured by Media 100 i, 844/X, FCP and other systems as well as native Media 100 HD media (although the system and the codec are named Media 100 HD they can be used for SD or HD both). Additional to everything Media 100 sw does you also have the hardware-based HD/SD up- and downconversion and aspect ratio conversion on digitizing and mastering. Plus you have SDI, Component and Composite ins and outs which you don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]