MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Making M100 programs into Avid sequences...AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman M.Making M100 programs into Avid sequences...AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!
by on Jun 24, 2005 at 11:29:02 pm

I'm trying to take a program that was cut on M100 and bring it into the Avid. It seems that no matter what kind of EDL I put out, Avid's EDL manager has a problem with it.

Has anyone done this procedure successfully? If so, is there another/better way to do what I'm trying to do?

I have: M100iXS 8.2.2, and Avid XpressPro 4.6, running on G4 Dual 1.25, OS 10.3.8, 1.25MB RAM

I know that I can export the footage manually, but I'd rather not do that. I'd like to have the flexibility to adjust it, and since I didn't shell out the extra $500 to have the OMF option, I can't use that.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Ernie SantellaRe: Making M100 programs into Avid sequences...AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!
by on Jun 25, 2005 at 2:35:05 am

Not sure if this helps, but I just had some issues exporting (Printing to EDL) an EDL to AVID. The problem ended up being, I was trying to create an EDL with more than 1 video track. As soon as I amended it to one track, it exported fine. All I can say is, that worked.

Ernie Santella
Santella Film/Video Productions

Return to posts index

tPIXRe: Making M100 programs into Avid sequences...AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!
by on Jun 25, 2005 at 3:16:44 pm

Hi Roman,

The first thing to do is to use a GVG edl. The Avid edl software has a bug in it that converts cmx lists record timecode to non drop in all cases.

You wouldn't believe the hoops I had to jump through to get the avid house to even admit that it might be a problem at their end. This is a longstanding bug that avid has never addressed. Avid owners are often loathe to admit their might be something wrong with their "cadillac".

I usually send video and audio tracks as seperate EDLs, to facilitate easier troubleshooting. You need to remember that EDLs are from an era of tape suites, and they, within their original intended use, cannot facilitate all of the information in a non-linear timeline without a little creativity.

As far as the video tracks go, simple ab roll will export to EDL properly. If you have layers then I would export each layer as a seperate EDL. I make this same request when receiving EDLs from avid or other platforms.

It is a simple matter to amalgamate multiple EDLs into a single sequence.

Export audio in four track groups per EDL, using the remap function. EDLs are limited to 4 audio tracks. If you need an explanation of remap, add a note to this thread and I will explain.

At the start of a project it is a good idea to use an organized and simple alpha-numeric tape numbering system. There are limitations on what characters and the number of characters used in the tape# field of an EDL. Refer to the list of tape# name conversions at the bottom of your EDL and you will see what I mean.

Good Luck!

As a side note, it would be great if M100 would get together with the people from automatic duck, which does these kind of conversions for FCP and avid and others. The lack of support for M100 sequence conversion is what forced me to invest in an FCP setup.

Hope Steve Bayes reads this side note.

Return to posts index

Roman M.Re: Making M100 programs into Avid sequences...AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!
by on Jun 25, 2005 at 8:50:04 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm going to keep fiddling with it, as much as I can, but it's really frustrating, as you know. I'll try exporting video separate from audio, etc., as you suggest. At least I'll have some idea of what works and what doesn't.

Right now, though, I have to troubleshoot my machine in general, as something lately has been causing crashes from all kinds of apps that don't normally crash. I suspect that this might be related to my EDL Manager woes in some way, but the problem is that with OSX, troubleshooting conflicts is obscure. Apps are supposed to run in their own little segmented blocks of memory, so no app should theoretically be able to write into the space of another, which is what happened frequently in the OS's before X. On the otherhand, those problems were much easier to solve, as you could remove the questionable files and re-introduce them one by one until you re-created the problem. Now, that option doesn't exist...

So, off I go to fix my Mac. I'll let you know if I determine what the problem was.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved