MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

highest quality encoding

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
justin wheelerhighest quality encoding
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 7:40:21 am

Hi. I am preparing video to be encoded for full-screen broadcast stock footage purposes and see that the big stock footage libraries like Getty are using photo-jpeg, while many smaller ones are using sorenson vid 3. Now H.264 is being hailed as the highest quality compressed video.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which is really the highest quality to size ratio? Seems like photo-jpeg might be the best answer since the big guys are deeply tied up in it for now.

Also, is there any difference in quality when exporting/encoding directly from Media100xr v.7.5.1 versus exporting to Cleaner 6?

Thanks in advance.
Justin

Return to posts index

Logan KelseyRe: highest quality encoding
by on Jun 22, 2005 at 4:43:09 pm

[justin wheeler] "Hi. I am preparing video to be encoded for full-screen broadcast stock footage purposes and see that the big stock footage libraries like Getty are using photo-jpeg, while many smaller ones are using sorenson vid 3. Now H.264 is being hailed as the highest quality compressed video.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which is really the highest quality to size ratio? Seems like photo-jpeg might be the best answer since the big guys are deeply tied up in it for now.

Also, is there any difference in quality when exporting/encoding directly from Media100xr v.7.5.1 versus exporting to Cleaner 6?

Hi Justin,

I would stick with Photo-JPG (at 98%), that is what most of the stock agencies are using today. With H.264 the user will need QT7, so you lose a bit of backwards compatibility. Plus, Photo-JPG is the spec for Getty, Artbeats, etc...

I use Cleaner or Compression Master with Media100 referance exports.

Cheers,
Logan Kelsey
http://www.verticalonline.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]