MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Weird problem, smells like M100 related...

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman M.Weird problem, smells like M100 related...
by on Jun 21, 2005 at 4:36:47 am

This just started happening to me, and I can't seem to figure it out. When going from M100 to anything else, I'm starting to get video that has strange "banding" artifacts, most visible in high motion segments. It looks a lot like a field-reversed situation, but I don't think that's it.

When I output a reference movie to Compressor and make an MPEG-2 for DVD, I get a file that has TINY banding patterns (like flipped fields), but plays FINE on an NTSC monitor. However, after making a DVD out of that file, it plays back with these HUGE bands that "wiggle" as motion occurs. Upon closer examination, I noticed that the banding occurs in a ON-ON-OFF-OFF-OFF pattern, that is, two "wiggly" frames, followed by three normal frames.

The reason I suspect M100, is that I have been making DVD's using Compressor and DVD Studio Pro without problem for over a year. Also, I have recently revised a DVD with elements compressed a while ago and it did NOT have this problem. Now, in the past two weeks, this banding issue has come up each time I try to encode a new M100-originated file.

The only thing I can think of that has changed is that I downloaded the new set of M100 codecs and installed them into my Quicktime folder. I will try to remove them and see what happens, but in the meantime, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Roman

Media 100 v.8.2.2

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Weird problem, smells like M100 related...
by on Jun 21, 2005 at 6:29:01 am

Either you really have a field-order problem or you are working in the wrong resolution. Have you specified the correct field order in the Compressor presets? And are you working in720*486/720*576? Can you post a little segment of the original Media 100 file and the encoded file that shows this problem?

Return to posts index

Roman M.Re: Weird problem, smells like M100 related...
by on Jun 21, 2005 at 5:09:21 pm

Floh,

Thanks for taking the time. OK, here's what I know: Even going back to the original source file on M100, I have some kind of field order problem. It goes "BAD-BAD-GOOD-GOOD-GOOD," as though I were grabbing from a film source and used the wrong pullin frame. However, my source was a laserdisc player, through s-video, into M100. Anyway, upon close examination, I found this pattern exists, although it's almost tolerable when played back.

The problem is, when I eventually produce a DVD, although the MPEG encoded files have only this same minor field flaw, the .VOB files, played on a DVD player (and even Apple's DVD Player on my progressive screen) show this horrible, unacceptable banding. I can't screen capture while the DVD Player is on, so I couldn't get a sample to show you, but it's as though lines 1-10 are fine, then 11-20 are offset 10 pixels to the right, then 21-30 are normal, then 31-40 are offset, etc.

FYI: Playing the .VOB back in MPEG Streamclip does NOT show the error;
Making a DVD from a source originating in my Avid Xpress DV does NOT show the error;
So, it appears that both Compressor and DVD Studio Pro are NOT the culprits.

I tried removing the new M100 codecs and restarting, but I still produced the error.

I don't know of any way to control how the M100 sets it's field order upon capture, so how can I rectify that part of the problem (which is apparently the precursor to my big problem).

Thanks again for any ideas/advice.

Roman

Media 100 v.8.2.2

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Weird problem, smells like M100 related...
by on Jun 21, 2005 at 5:15:11 pm

This sounds as if your source (from the LaserDisc) is originally from film or from PAL material. If possible post e.g. 10 frames of the original digitized media somewhere or send me a mail and I

Return to posts index

Roman M.Re: Weird problem, smells like M100 related...
by on Jun 21, 2005 at 6:14:39 pm

Yes, the laser source was film, however, the problem seems bigger than that. I just did a few tests, and it seems that ANYTHING coming into my M100 via the s-video port ends up with field order problems. It's as if the machine cannot find the proper sync. I digitized a cut of something with BITC and EVERY frame had the frame units flickering. Why would this suddenly begin to happen? I've had this same M100 system since 1999.

I don't have anywhere to post a sample, but I'll be happy to mail it to you, if that's OK.

Roman

Media 100 v.8.2.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]