MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

scsi drive failure

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregscsi drive failure
by on Jun 18, 2005 at 12:53:14 am

One of my drives no longer shows up on my desktop. I think it's failed. I was talking to a guy today who knows Macs, and ghe suggested that I switch over to Firewire drives. He gave me info on this site

Has anyone switched over to these type of drives. Are they compatible with M100i 8.2.1 on a Mac G4 1.42 GHZ set up?

I edit primarily beta sp shows. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Lawrence MarshallRe: scsi drive failure
by on Jun 18, 2005 at 3:14:56 pm

I have been editing M100 on single (i.e. - not Raided) 120-gig Firewire drives using just the Firewire port on a G4 for several years. My drives have 8mb cache, and they easily sustain 225-250kb throughput. Using 8.2.1 caused no problems with this workflow.

Return to posts index

Dean SensuiRe: scsi drive failure
by on Jun 19, 2005 at 8:28:31 am

I would recommend SATA drives.

External RAID enclosures from Sonnet and Firmtek that allow hot-swapping drives provide an economical option in the long run.

I'm using the Firmtek 2-drive card and enclosure and they're working nicely. Sonnnet's solution was just announced and their enclosure has 4 bays instead of Firmtek's 2, and it also has an internal power supply instead of an external one. Slightly cleaner installation... no brick.

Hitachi 250-gig drives are about $140 each plus another $20 for a "sled". At about $160 for 250 gigabytes of fast storage, it's not a bad deal.

Dean Sensui

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved