MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100SW and third party capturing?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Manny  Frederick
Media 100SW and third party capturing?
on Jun 15, 2005 at 4:05:22 pm

I am looking to buy a new edit system sometime this year and really want to stick with media 100. Does anyone know if the media100 SW will support third party capturing from Aja or similar boards or is it going to be from firewire only? Also any word on when SW will be released for sale? Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Media 100SW and third party capturing?
by
on Jun 15, 2005 at 4:11:27 pm

I would doubt that sw will access 3rd party capture boards, since Media 100 builds its own hardware with Media 100 HD, but probably nothing is 100% sure...

Return to posts index

Manny  Frederick
on Jun 16, 2005 at 3:45:33 pm

Floh, thank for the info! I thinks it's a real shame that media 100 is making no attempt to use sw to complete with FCP. One of our other offices just bought a FCP HD system and an aja board for $2500. Since we digitize component and firewire this seems a much better deal than going for $7995 for media 100 HD. Being with media 100 since v2.6 it seems sad to leave them but I think its time.

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 16, 2005 at 4:04:17 pm

Um, I think the whole point of Media 100 sw is to compete with FCP and FCE, and to have a "smaller" and cheaper version of the application that supports FireWire devices. And I think as an existing Media 100 i user you won

Return to posts index

Manny  Frederick
on Jun 16, 2005 at 4:25:23 pm

I am not looking to upgrade my current system, but to buy a second one and they quoted me $7995. I love the media 100 interface, but to me its just not worth and extra $5500. I have worked briefly on the FCP system with the aja board and it was rock solid, I'm just not crazy about the the FCP interface. But as I said I don't see media 100 being worth 3x's the price. I'm not hear to knock media 100, I have done very well using their systems for years but I think it's hard for them to consider this trying to compete when I will have to spend that much more to capture component.

Return to posts index

Kim
by
on Jun 16, 2005 at 5:05:53 pm

Our company was faced with the same decision. After years with M100 we did your same reasoning and have replaced 2 Media 100's with FCP. I was sorry to see it go since we have been really happy with it but as you said, the investment was just too big compared to the FCP route.
That's just to let you know there are lots of us in the same M100 boat. Good luck with your decision!

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Jun 23, 2005 at 9:45:54 pm

I spoke with M100 today - they told me that Media 100 HD will have a software only version (sw?) for $1000, which is their answer to FCP HD.
It will have DV capture for both DV and HDV, and be compatible with existing M100i or 844 projects and media. The demo sw version on their website does everything except capture - clearly just for marketing purposes.

Well if I need a new editing system, if my M100i ever goes, I will have to decide if I want M100 HD sw or FCP 5 - the FCP bundle seems like a great deal - either way the new G5 is my biggest expense - when the time comes that is. That being said, M100 HD looks pretty nice.

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on Jul 2, 2005 at 8:38:44 am

IF they are really releasing Media 100 sw for $1000, they are shooting themselves in the foot big time.

That is way over-priced (imo).. Way, way over priced.

This would make it impossible for anyone to justify getting M100sw over FCP. Same price for software with less features, less expandability and less integrated products? That's gotta be a mistake.

I found it pretty hard to justify buying a Media 100 HD... I only did because I have so many legacy projects that need continuous updating.

The M100 editing interface is a great and perfectly simplistic design... I do like it... The only thing they'd be doing by charging that much for a SOFTWARE ONLY version (that will never be able to import anything but FW and HDV) would be sticking it to loyal customers who have stuck with (or been stuck with) Media 100... The aren't going to pick up any *new* sales with pricing like that!!

C'mon now... They've gotten their original R&D $$ back from the M100 editing interface desing... No need to gouge. Media 100 sw is at most a $399 product... considering the competition.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]