MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Avid Xpress Pro vs. Final Cut Pro vs. Media 100i

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
NicoleAvid Xpress Pro vs. Final Cut Pro vs. Media 100i
by on Jun 13, 2005 at 2:52:50 pm

Hi. I'm currently using Media 100i, but have the opportunity to move to one of these other platforms. Any advice?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Avid Xpress Pro vs. Final Cut Pro vs. Media 100i
by on Jun 13, 2005 at 6:46:11 pm

[Nicole] "Hi. I'm currently using Media 100i, but have the opportunity to move to one of these other platforms. Any advice?"

It depends on what you want to do. All systems have their strengths and weaknesses. Media 100 i or HD/sw are very straightforward with a good UI and excellent image quality; they have good integration with 3rd party tools like AE, and it is hard to mess up a system.

Avid is very common in TV stations as well as in Film and bigger post houses, while FCP is more common in smaller shops where it is more important to keep the systems cheap. The UI of AVID is the most unintuitive of the 3 tools, it is very powerful but it takes some time to get used to it and it always requires a lot of your attention (like not getting out of sync). While FCP is probably the system that got the biggest updates in the last years it can be tricky to keep in a stable working setup, and there are a lot of little areas where the communication with the needed 3rd party hardware can get problematic. There are a lot of preferences and settings that can cause a headache if e.g. the system does not output video anymore, or if you try to remove media files (media manager) or reacquire in a higher resolution.

I think there is no "perfect" system, but it pretty much depends on your needs. Media 100 HD and sw are very powerful systems, and they are perfectly for Media 100 i users, since they use the same UI with powerful new features. FCP is harder to learn, and AVID will need a lot of attention before you will get some good results.

Return to posts index

Tim ScarpinoRe: Avid Xpress Pro vs. Final Cut Pro vs. Media 100i
by on Jun 13, 2005 at 7:38:14 pm

[Floh] "Nicole] "Hi. I'm currently using Media 100i, but have the opportunity to move to one of these other platforms. Any advice?"

I think there is no "perfect" system, but it pretty much depends on your needs. Media 100 HD and sw are very powerful systems, and they are perfectly for Media 100 i users, since they use the same UI with powerful new features. FCP is harder to learn, and AVID will need a lot of attention before you will get some good results."

I concur...Having been on Media 100 for 6 years, and switching cold-turkey to Avid Media Composer Adrenaline, it was a shock to my intuative systems. Avid is VERY attention-hogging, and if you've used M100 for awhile, you be dissappointed with UI. I found FCP to be cumbersome as well, though I'll admit, I haven't used its newer versions.

I wouldn't give up my MCA, as I think it offers me lots in terms of development for the future, but I will say, I ended up buying my "old" M100 system intact, and now it occupies what I hope will be my future profit-making edit suite in my basement ;-)

Good luck,

Tim

Return to posts index

tPIXRe: Avid Xpress Pro vs. Final Cut Pro vs. Media 100i
by on Jun 13, 2005 at 8:38:50 pm

I have been using M100 since version 2.

I would like to comment that I have been using FCP 4.5 on a dual 1.42 G4 using 1.2 terabytes of internal storage and an AJAio for the last four months and it has crashed only twice.

Although at one time stability, and 3rd party card issues with FCP were valid, I do not believe that is true any longer. Smoke and mirrors from the salespeople. The AJA video quality is superb. The suite of software that comes with FCP is great. Final Cut Studio is a steal.

I still have two M100 XRs, and prefer them for some tasks, however M100 HAS A LOT OF CATCHING UP TO DO ON THE SOFTWARE SIDE. I immediatley miss things that FCP can do going back to M100. M100 HD is overpriced.

I completely agree about the AVID. It is powerful but clunky and difficult and wrapped in aging and ripe bs(not to mention overpriced). Also, only one sequence open at a time - a deal killer for me (I use multiple sequences instead of bins).

I recently cut a project on AVID and couldn't wait for it to be over.

If you get FCP do yourself a favour and get a Contour Shuttle Pro, and program it to your liking - it's like driving a deluxe steenbeck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]