MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

How to - Time Lapse from full motion video

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wilkinson-RayHow to - Time Lapse from full motion video
by on Jun 10, 2005 at 7:18:12 pm

Anyone know how to efficiently create a time-lapse sequence on a M100i (ver. 7.5, OS 9.2) from full motion video? I'm thinking maybe one frame from every every 30 frames, or a 1:30 ratio.

Thanks for any tips!

Return to posts index

jokemasterRe: How to - Time Lapse from full motion video
by on Jun 10, 2005 at 9:21:52 pm

I think your ratio is a subjective thing.

When I think of time-lapse photography, I picture a building going up.

One picture a day for six months may work for the most part but on day 77
they put aluminum siding up and covered the whole framing structure that was visible on day 76. I wish I took 2 or 3 pictures that day to give me more of a work in progress look.

If you followed my logic to this point (Worry; not many people do...)
go ahead and try it as you mentioned.

Who knows speeding the clip to 1200% could do it for certain subjects.

Probably not very much help here, but good luck.

Return to posts index

Mike CohenRe: How to - Time Lapse from full motion video
by on Jun 13, 2005 at 11:26:54 pm

Yes, if you speed it up to super fast speed, it gives the impression of time lapse - depends upon the length of time you showing - a sunset vs. the construction of a home - as posted by jokemaster - - you will either speed up the whole of the footage, or manually select the shots you want - if you want a long sequence from a lot of raw video and you are manually selecting frames - prepare for sheer boredom.

A few years ago as a gag I taped me and my wife setting up our campsite from a locked down camera - then found a piece of music, and made the raw video match the length of the track - it was pretty funny. Cut in a few inserts such as a closeup of hammering in a tent stake, cooking bacon on the camp stove and eating my breakfast, which made it even more of a hoot - did this in M100i 7.5 incidentally - occasionally find the time to have fun.

Return to posts index

Dwain CrispellRe: How to - Time Lapse from full motion video
by on Jun 17, 2005 at 5:35:47 pm

It's not very difficult depending on what you are wanting to shoot and your resources being either time or money. For video mostly what you need if you don't want to baby sit the camera is what is called and intervolometer other wise say you wanted to timelapse a whole day.... shoot 5 minutes each hour during the day and longer during sunset or sunrise. I am not sure if an intervolometer exists in the video wold because I haven't gone looking but it use to be used in film quite freqently.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved