MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Opinions on Panasonic AG-DVX100A

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim ScarpinoOpinions on Panasonic AG-DVX100A
by on Jun 10, 2005 at 6:31:17 pm

I'm planning to start production later this summer on a low-budget nature-type documentary that will air on a regional network of PBS stations. I'm entertaining the notion of using the Panasonic AG-DVX100A as my principle field aquisition tool and cutting this on a Media 100 system at 3 to 1 compression.

I'm just curious as to what you all think of this camera and DV format for a relatively inexpensive production that will be seen on broadcast television.

Will this provide a satifactory image for 30 minutes?

Would I be pushing it if shot in the 24p mode?

Any other thoughts based on your experience?

Thanks all, and have a great weekend,

Tim

Return to posts index

Nick L.Re: Opinions on Panasonic AG-DVX100A
by on Jun 11, 2005 at 3:44:10 pm

I have the DVX100A and I am very happy with it. I shoot a lot of interview in 24p mode but haven't done many high action shots with it. I usually digitiize into the Media100 at 200 kb and haven't had any problems. There is a forum on this site specifically for the 100A - you can probably get more useful info there.

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.1
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

Tim ScarpinoRe: Opinions on Panasonic AG-DVX100A
by on Jun 13, 2005 at 12:19:00 pm

[Nick L.] "I have the DVX100A and I am very happy with it. I shoot a lot of interview in 24p mode but haven't done many high action shots with it. I usually digitiize into the Media100 at 200 kb and haven't had any problems. There is a forum on this site specifically for the 100A - you can probably get more useful info there."

Nick, at 200 kb, this would be about 2 to 1 compression, correct? I've got an older Media 100 (ver 6) running with a couple of SCSI arrays for a total of about 32 gigs of storage space. My footage will be all tripod and not alot of zooms or pans. What am I looking at (roughly) for total minutes available for storage with these 32 Gigs? 35 minutes? 40? 50?

Thanks for your consideration,

Tim

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2005 at 3:33:57 pm

Tim, I used to know the time/kb ratios but they've been "deleted from my hard drive" a long time ago. There may be a chart on the Media100 website, or maybe someone on the forum has the breakdown. I can say that I was previously digitizing at 100-150 kb and never noticed any artifacts in the video. I did, however, notice some "jaggies" on more complex graphics so I bumped up to 200 kb. Bottom line, the 100A shoots great video, in my opinion. I think the digitizing rate is a separate issue, whether you're using the Media 100, another NLE, or another camera.

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.1
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2005 at 7:31:34 pm

[Nick L.] "Bottom line, the 100A shoots great video, in my opinion. I think the digitizing rate is a separate issue, whether you're using the Media 100, another NLE, or another camera."

Nick, thanks. And I do hope it shoots "great" video. Having done this for 20 years, cutting my technical teeth by setting up 2" RCA Quad VTR's, I've seen a lot and hope the 100A, for the price, gives me an image I can work with. I've got a unit coming for demo next week, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for your time....

Tim

Return to posts index

by on Jun 13, 2005 at 8:13:45 pm

Good luck. I think you'll like it. Wow - 2" VTRs! The largest I can claim is 1" - I can't say that I miss threading tapes.

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.1
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2005 at 12:02:05 pm

[Nick L.] "Wow - 2" VTRs! The largest I can claim is 1" - I can't say that I miss threading tapes."

Well, the Sony BVH-3100 with auto threading was a real hoot. Imagine, a VTR that acted like a vacuum cleaner. Who'da thunk it?

Cheers,

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]