MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Digitizing nightmare with M100 HD

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Marshall
Digitizing nightmare with M100 HD
on Jun 5, 2005 at 11:24:28 am

Working on my first editing session with M100 HD where I am digitizing with M100 HD -- previous jobs were editing footage digitized with Media 100i XS. It's taken me an hour and a half to digitize a 30-minute Betacam. I've got 10 hours of footage left to digitize. I'll start digitizing, drives churning away just fine, then nothing to show for it. Hard to take after rolling for 15 minutes only to find nothing there except a whole litany of error messages:

"Could not complete your request because of a program error (error code -2014)"

"Could not complete your request because end of file."

"Could not complete your request because the M100 HD system is locked up."

"Damaged media file: do you want to delete it?"

Then several crashes: "unrecoverable error, memory allocation failed, error -19004, file datacache, line 63"

Lots of Media 100 app restarts, lots of computer restarts.

Running dual 2.5 gig, OS 10.3.8. 4 gigs of RAM. Updated M100 HD to 10.1.1. Digitizing to an Xserve RAID... all things related to Xserve are updated.

I'm digitizing using the M100i "lossless" codec, but I also tried 8-bit uncompressed, 300kb, 250kb... nothing seems to work. The only way I'm getting through this is by digitizing in short segments (one or two minutes per clip), but even then the errors eventually start to happen. Not to mention I have bins with tons of clips, and the wear and tear of starting-stopping-starting my Beta deck.

This obviously can't go on. After complete editing stability the last few years with M100i XS on a G4, I have no patience for this, and I can't bill lost time. Any ideas for a way out of this mess?

Thanks, Larry Marshall

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Digitizing nightmare with M100 HD
by
on Jun 5, 2005 at 12:31:36 pm

Larry,

there

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
on Jun 5, 2005 at 2:31:13 pm

Hi Floh - -

Cards are placed correctly as you have advised. I'm using the Apple Fiber card. The Xserve is a 5.6TB RAID. The seven drives on the left are one Raid 5 array of roughly 2.5 TB, and the other seven drives make up a second Raid 5 array of roughly 2.5TB. However, both sides have been striped together as Raid 50, resulting in one giant 5.6TB array partition.

Not sure what to try next...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
Digitizing nightmare update
on Jun 5, 2005 at 4:10:41 pm

So apparently none of this has to do with the array. I tried digitizing to single Firewire drives at 200kb... same error messages, same kinds of crashing. I'll get three or four clips successfully digitized, then everything goes downhill.

Going to hook up the old M100i XS in the G4 and I'll be able to make progress there. Thanks to the fact that M100 HD doesn't allow you to save to earlier versions of M100, I just lost a day digitizing since I have to start all over again. Thank God I didn't do any timeline editing yet...

Larry M

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
Re: Digitizing nightmare update
on Jun 5, 2005 at 4:35:20 pm

I know that you can't use bins or programs back in your XS, but couldn't you import the digitized material directly from your HD into a new bin of your XS?

Felix

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
on Jun 5, 2005 at 8:57:30 pm

Tried that. Took clips digitized in M100 HD and imported into M100i XS Version 8.2 on my G4. The clip comes in, but only audio plays. Video is black. Quicktime plays the video OK, but when importing into a M100i XS bin, there is no video...just audio.

Larry M

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 5, 2005 at 7:52:07 pm

I would remove the Apple FC card and try digitizing again to the internal drive (or the FireWire drive) in maybe 200kb. This defitnitely should work. If not, I think you should reinstall your OS, maybe to the FireWire drive to keep your internal disk okay.

Return to posts index

Hugh Howarth
on Jun 15, 2005 at 1:19:16 am

Just a shot in the dark here, but isn't the Media 100 HD only approved for 2 GBs of RAM? Could your issues be related to your RAM? You indicated that you were using 4 GBs.

Hugh Howarth

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]