MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Cutting 24p with M100 HD?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Marshall
Cutting 24p with M100 HD?
on Jun 3, 2005 at 3:18:30 pm

Got a project coming up where the shoot will be done with the Panasonic Varicam HD camera. They are going to shoot everything 24p, 16x9. They will also be shooting 60i (60p?) and overcranking the camera at different rates to achieve different slow motion effects. End product will be Standard Def 16:9 DVD.

So... is it time to jump over to FCP to edit this thing? I have M100 HD, but the whole 24p thing has me puzzled in terms of workflow. Can it be done, and if so are there resources out there to show the workflow in M100 to edit this program?

Thanks, Larry Marshall

Return to posts index

Michael Todd Thorpe
Re: Cutting 24p with M100 HD?
on Jun 3, 2005 at 3:33:34 pm

I'm not sure if this will help, but we have a Panasonic SDX900 that we shoot 24p with and then post on our M100's (both HD and i). The signal comes off the camera with the pulldown added and onto the tape at 60i. Everything works fine, but we're going to broadcast with it so we don't need a 24p output version. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Varicam does the same thing. Also, I work with this footage in A/E all the time, it's simple to remove the pulldown. Speaking of which, I've never pulled a better greenscreen key than I have with the SDX900 footage set for 24p and filmlike gamma curves.

If you don't want to move to FCP, I suppose you could build your project in M100, export out to A/E, remove the pulldown and then render out as a 24p format again.

Michael Todd Thorpe
Producer/Director
KUVI TV45

Return to posts index

Lawrence Marshall
on Jun 3, 2005 at 3:54:56 pm

Guess I'm still a bit puzzled why one would shoot at 24p, only to convert it back to 60i for editing? What is the net effect - - what qualities are added (real, temporal, or otherwise) to the finished footage? What does it look like compared to just shooting 60i? What about the things we hear so much about - - strobing on fast pans and tilts, etc., and are those anomalies eliminated when pulldown is added? How does it compare to shooting at 30i?

Hate admitting I'm a newbie to all things 24p...

Larry

Return to posts index

Michael Todd Thorpe
on Jun 3, 2005 at 4:48:18 pm

The benefit is it looks like film. Between the temporal effect of the 24 frames and the filmlike gamma curves on the camera, it's about as close as you can get without actually shooting film. Yes, there are some things to watch out for, namely the "strobing" mentioned when doing quick moves, but I've had little or no trouble with it. The camera also does 30 frames and 60i as well. I haven't compared the 30 to the 24 so I can't comment of that. I know some people shoot that way though. I'm still pretty happy with the 24...

Michael Todd Thorpe
Producer/Director
KUVI TV45

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
on Jun 6, 2005 at 10:53:13 pm

What exactly do you mean by "remove the pulldown"?

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Jun 3, 2005 at 4:00:42 pm

The varicams always record at 60(i?) with flagged images, so they can determine the frame rate. And the player will also output "normal" HD @ 30 frames with the images interpolated correctly. So as long as you are not going to film for final output there is no reason not to edit the project in Media 100 HD.
The only thing that Media 100 HD does not do right now is to work with 24PA, which you would shoot if you are going to film, where 24 full-frame images are recorded on a 30frames base. Otherwise just digitize and work as you would usually do.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]