MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

OT: Which software do you use for compression?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey Stoner
OT: Which software do you use for compression?
on Jun 1, 2005 at 2:08:59 pm

I have cleaner, and now that I'm getting into more web-streaming, I'm finding that the results from creating a WMV file are unsatisfactory. During complex edits, the video freezes up and stutters a lot (and I don't just mean when it's streaming -- it does this even when I play it from a local drive). Therefore, I find myself putting clips online that are softer and less "chaotic" because cleaner does a better job with them, however, these aren't really the kinds of clips I want representing my work.

Furthermore, I made a few MPG clips and they are just waaaaay too big for streaming, and I don't see any settings for reducing the quality and size.

Help help help.

Jeffrey

Return to posts index

Norm Wright
Re: OT: Which software do you use for compression?
on Jun 1, 2005 at 2:37:33 pm

Try the Compression Techniques forum

Return to posts index

Kieran Matthew
on Jun 1, 2005 at 6:58:55 pm

Hi,
When using Cleaner I found that reducing the number of frames between keyframes helps a lot in the freezing stakes. Infact when using the "Broadband Download" preset, a figure of 120 frames seems to produce freeze-free video that is of a useful quality for sending to clients. As for web-sized vids I have yet to discover the right-formula, I guess you just have to fiddle.

It seems that a lot of people are using Flip4mac for WMVs out of Media 100 these days. I haven't used it, but apparently you can export direct from the timeline, and the results are good.

With Cleaner not being QT7 compatible, moving to another package may well soon be the only option.

Return to posts index

jacobo vizcarra
on Jun 1, 2005 at 7:49:31 pm

Try:

On PC I'd look at Procoder from Canopus
On Mac, Popwire, Squeeze etc.

Good Luck

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]