MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Problem with exporting 'self-contained movie'

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve
Problem with exporting 'self-contained movie'
on May 26, 2005 at 7:02:22 am

Hi all...

Okay, I select Export>self-contained movie. Thinking I can then get the file into cleaner or toast (as a self-contained movie)and keep using m100. But whenever I try to start up m100 again it tells me the ole 'Media 100 is in use by another application' warning. What's the deal with that? I thought when you exported as a self-contained movie that's what it was - a self-contained movie?

Does anyone else have this problem? What's going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated...floh?
Thanx in advance.

Cheers
Steve

"Do not mistake me for a conjurer of cheap tricks"

Return to posts index

Floh
Re: Problem with exporting 'self-contained movie'
by
on May 26, 2005 at 9:23:14 am

A self contained file is a QuickTime file, that contains all the video information, while a reference file only contains pointers to the original media files. Both are compressed with the Media 100 i codec and have exactly the same quality as the digitized file, no recompression is applied.
If you open one of those files in QuickTime player or any other quicktime based application a codec is needed to decompress the file. If you have a "standard" installation of Media 100 i the hardware codec on the P6000 board is used, so Media 100 i cannot access the codec anymore and therefore you cannot open the Media 100 i application. But Media 100 has released a free Software Codec, which does allow you to open Media 100 i files without hardware access (either on your Media 100 i system or on any other Mac). If you want to install it on a Media 100 i system (and I really would recommend to do that!!!) you should read the instructions on the download page.

Return to posts index

Steve
on May 26, 2005 at 9:47:45 am

Ah, I'll do that. Thanks Floh. You rock!

Cheers
Steve

Return to posts index

Steve
on May 27, 2005 at 1:36:31 am

Oh two more things...Will sw do this as well? Do you have to down load this codec for sw also?

Cheers
Steve

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on May 27, 2005 at 5:58:03 am

[Steve] "Oh two more things...Will sw do this as well? Do you have to down load this codec for sw also? "

sw does not have the hardware, so it uses the Software Codec all the time. It gets installed with the SW beta. But if you install sw on a Media 100 i system you still have to disable the hardware codec as described.

Return to posts index

Katrina Speight
on May 30, 2005 at 3:00:22 am

Hey Steve...maybe you can help....my partner says I need to export as "self-contained movie" to use with iDVD program.....I say export as "quictime Movie" what you think???????
thanks....Kat

Return to posts index

Steve
on Jun 8, 2005 at 10:40:42 am

Hi Kat.

Sorry about the delayed reply. For some reason your q wasn't forwarded to me. So I missed it for a while, anyway...

I haven't worked with idvd. but I'd start with self contained movie but you might also need the other codec that floh was talking about...(check I think he put a link in the thread). Hmm, who knows may just go straight in like that. or you may have to create mpegs in cleaner or the like, Maybe?

Good luck. Hope it's useful. Let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]