MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Drop frame or not

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael AllenDrop frame or not
by on May 24, 2005 at 6:39:37 am

Does it matter if my M100 is set to drop frame or not. Should my camcorder be set to drop frame if my computer is or does it matter. I know what drop frame is but how does it effect my edit process. I just realized after years of editing that my camcorder was set one way and my M100 was set another. Never noticed any problems. Any light would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jim CalahanRe: Drop frame or not
by on May 24, 2005 at 2:19:28 pm

If you are editing a long form project not using Drop frame TC will cause a discrepancy in length of about 3.6 sec. per hour. If you are doing spots it won

Return to posts index

Mike AllenRe: Drop frame or not
by on May 24, 2005 at 5:05:52 pm

So what do most people use? Non- Drop frame or Drop frame?

Return to posts index

Wayne V.Re: Drop frame or not
by on May 24, 2005 at 6:27:09 pm

If your project is going to be broadcast, then you use DROP FRAME. That is the mode that keeps color television locked to true clock time. If your project is not going to be broadcast (event videos, corporate vieos. etc) where exact timing isn't that critical, then non-drop is fine. Over the course of 1 hour, drop frame will be exactly 1 hour while non-drop will be 1 hour 3 seconds 18 frames. In television land, that's a hugh difference.

As an editor, you would want your camera to record the same kind of timecode that you will be editig in, but with NLEs, it's not as crucial as it used to be. If you can, keep thenm both to drop frame and you'll never have an issue.

Hope that answers your question some.
Wayne V.

Return to posts index

Walter AntkiewiczRe: Drop frame or not
by on May 26, 2005 at 12:38:20 pm

I just changed from using non drop frame to drop frame. I had been shooting all my footage with a DSR300 which records DVCAM in non drop frame. Then I bought a small miniDV camcorder for a second camera and it doesn't have the option to set non drop frame, it's all drop frame. So to make the footage from both cameras the same I swithced to drop frame on the DSR300. You will have a problem if you mix the two types in one timeline and try to redigitize the footage to a different quality level.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved