MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Importing a MPEG song from iTunes. Do you have to convert it first?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome RobbinsImporting a MPEG song from iTunes. Do you have to convert it first?
by on May 24, 2005 at 1:22:56 am

I just bought a couple of songs from iTunes to use in a project. I want to import them to a bin in my project. It looks like it may be importing but no it is not. Do I have to convert the Mpeg file format that the song is in to an AIFF or QT before Media 100 can import it. If so, How do I do that?

Thanks for any help,
Jerome

Return to posts index

GregRe: Importing a MPEG song from iTunes. Do you have to convert it first?
by on May 24, 2005 at 3:38:23 am

I normally drag the file from itunes to you desktop and then drag it from your desktop to the media 100 bin. It should convert just fine based on the settings of your program.

Return to posts index

Jerome RobbinsRe: Importing a MPEG song from iTunes. Do you have to convert it first?
by on May 24, 2005 at 5:51:36 am

I tried dragging from the desktop, I tried dragging from the harddrive, I tried dragging from the iTunes window...Nothing will take.
How do you convert to a file that Media 100i will accept?

Return to posts index

Mark FrazierRe: Importing a MPEG song from iTunes. Do you have to convert it first?
by on May 24, 2005 at 6:44:13 pm

Do mean MP3 file, not MPEG? If so, have you tried using the "Import" function from your "File" pull-down menu (or the keyboard shortcut)? When I have had problems dragging things into bins to import them, sometimes this works a bit better.

Return to posts index

Jerome RobbinsRe: Importing a MPEG song from iTunes. Do you have to convert it first?
by on May 25, 2005 at 4:33:58 am

Well, as it turned out. The songs bought from iTunes are MP4 with a lock so they wont't import.

So, I burned the songs to a CD converting the songs to AIFF then I imported the AIFF songs into the Media 100 bin.

It is one step I would rather not have to do, but it works.

Jerome

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: Importing a MPEG song from iTunes. Do you have to convert it first?
by on May 25, 2005 at 2:52:15 pm

Yes, of course... It isn't really legal to buy a song and then use it for a commercial project. The purchased songs are mp4 files and you cannot convert in Quicktime pro or anything else that I'm aware of.

IF you purpose is to use the music as just a guide track and you need to get it into the M100 (or anyother NLE), you must burn a CD and then import the CD track back into your computer... That aiff will work.

Return to posts index

by on May 27, 2005 at 5:13:13 pm

A customer brings me a CD that has music on it that they bought on iTunes. They want me to use it in their project... It is their music to use for their own enjoyment any way they see fit. As long as their project is to be used for family and friends and not being used in a public place or being charged admission to view/hear.

Return to posts index

Wayne V.Re: Importing a MPEG song from iTunes. Do you have to convert it first?
by on May 28, 2005 at 1:12:09 am

While this is a nice thought, the record labels will strongly disagree with you. You client bought the "Rights" to LISTEN to the music they bought from iTunes on an MP3 player or to burn it (a limited number of times) to a CD. They did NOT buy the rights to include copyrighted music in ANY video production what-so-ever. People do it because most of the time it won't be caught by a record company exec, but it is NOT LEGAL to use someone else's copyrighted music unless you get specific Rights and Clearances each and every time. Producers AND editors can be held accountable for the royalties when the lawsuit hits. Everyone in this industry should get a good book about copyright laws (and read it), or a really good intellectual property lawyer. Don 't kid yourselves - you never know when Tommy Mottolla is at a friend's house watching their nice wedding video...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]