MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media100SW Work Flow

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg T. Karr
Media100SW Work Flow
on May 17, 2005 at 1:28:51 am

Note: I have never used or seen a Media100 until today.
Can I do this...
Digitize all media in FCP, then import these files into Media100SW for editing? I tried a test and came up with this.... It seems to work. I can place the clip in the timeline and I hear and see it fine. Altough, I can't use this same clip to "INSERT" video. It keeps putting in the audio as well. So my question is this. When I "IMPORT" the files created in FCP is the audio and video married together. I asume it is because when I drage the clip (in Media100SW) to the "PROGRAM" it places the video and audio. Is there a way to seperate them? So I can do some INSERT editing??

Or... do we need to just bite the bullet and buy the full version of Media100 (with hardware) and give up on the idea to digitze in FCP and "IMPORT" the files into Media100SM.

Thanks,

Gregg

Return to posts index

Harley Michailuck
Re: Media100SW Work Flow
on May 17, 2005 at 1:51:52 am

Double click on the clip in the bin and it will show up in the Edit Suite window. Uncheck any audio tracks you don't want and drag the clip to the timeline. Only the video will show up and play in the timeline.

Best,
Harley

Harley Michailuck
Brass Orchid Post fx
Saskatoon, SK Canada

http://www.brassorchid.com

Return to posts index

Gregg T. Karr
on May 17, 2005 at 2:31:41 am

Thanks for the replay Harley.

Well.... this is the reason for the post. I can't "uncheck" the audio boxes. I can uncheck A1, but as soon as I disable A2, V1 also disables. There is no way for me to just select Video. Once both audio channels are unchecked, it won

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on May 17, 2005 at 3:04:33 am

I don't know if I completely understand what is happening, but if you have sync'd audio/video clips that you want to unsync and it isn't working by the normal method (uncheck A1 and A2) you can try the following.

Select all the clips and drop then in a program timeline. Then, highlight them all and select unsync (command-y I believe). Then option-drag the all the video into a new bin (call it video only or something) and then you'll have access to the unsync'd clips.

I don't know why unchecking A1 and A2 is not working though. V1 should not dissapear when you do that. Let us know how it goes...

Return to posts index

Gregg T. Karr
on May 17, 2005 at 3:19:17 am

Ok... I'll give that a try. May not be able to get back to it until Wednesday or Thursday. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you very much for your help. Like I said... I've never edited with Media100 before. I've been a "Discreet" editor for the past 10 years... and recently, have been editing with FCP. So when this basic thing of unchecking did not work... I got very frustrated. Not knowing the program at all doesn

Return to posts index

William A Erophon
on May 17, 2005 at 4:02:23 am

gregg

i'm confused

i have just finished a large editorial job with Mac Media 100 SW only and used FCP to digitise my rushes and quite often de-selected the audio to make a video only clip. and i did this in the edit suite panel.

maybe talk us thru the steps

john
velocite.net

Return to posts index

Gregg T. Karr
on May 17, 2005 at 4:35:03 am

I'm confused too...I tried to explain my situation in a very short post. I was confused just trying to explain myself. So

Return to posts index

John Buck
on May 17, 2005 at 4:57:04 am

two things

yes the sw version it is waiting on getting native DV input.
when that happens it will be cool. but the full version is also worth checking out

in the media settings try motion jpeg 2 (apple M)
this seems to import fcp files quicker but yes there is a lag in import generally-

are you on a G5?

john

Return to posts index

Gregg T. Karr
on May 17, 2005 at 3:42:39 pm

I'm on a G5.

Return to posts index

SoftHarbor
on May 17, 2005 at 2:46:37 pm

It's already doing what you want, you're just not seeing it. You UN-check A1 and A2. V is still checked. You aren't allowed to uncheck V because then you'd have a clip with no audio and no video, which is pretty much nothing. So the application grays out the one remaining checkbox, but it's still checked, meaning the video is still on. Now just click somewhere in the Edit Clip panel that isn't a control and drag to your timeline. Or click the Apply button and your clip in the bin will be video-only.

To add dissolves or other transition effects you have to put the clips in Va or Vb. Well, you can vary opacity in V1-99 so you can do something that way.

Bringing FCP media into sw or HD should be much faster than real time. How are you doing that? There might be a bug in sw that forces some media to be converted to a different codec, and that takes time and disk space, but that will probably be fixed in the next version (sw is a beta release, remember).

Return to posts index

Gregg T. Karr
on May 17, 2005 at 3:49:22 pm

[It's already doing what you want, you're just not seeing it. You UN-check A1 and A2. V is still checked]

This is the problem! The V does not stay "checked"! As soon as I uncheck the two A boxes... the V box unchecks itself and grays out! I know you guys are saying that's not possible... but that is what it is doing!

[So the application grays out the one remaining checkbox, but it's still checked]

Like I said... not for me!

Anyway, thanks for the tips!!

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on May 17, 2005 at 4:09:39 pm

I still don't know what is going on then... It doesn't behave like that for me when I uncheck audio (I do it all the time).

The import should also go extremely quickly too... I've tested M100 with FCP files and they came in close to instantly. You should probably be working in the 8bit or 10bit Media 100 codec... You should know though, I don't think there is a way to have your TIMECODE come with the clips. All your imported clips TC will start at 00:00.

Obviously, you've thrown yourself a big curveball making this your first attempt on the Media 100... Just curious, why do you need to cut on the M100 if you have an FCP?

I just finished a Media 100 sw job and it performed great. All footage was imported from a .tga seq (CGI)... I ended up having to make a digibeta so I had to export a self contained movie and bring it into my old Media 100i xr to output to tape.

Also, you were asking where you bring in clips to do dissolves. Use your main video track and alternate between V(a) and V(b). This is where Media 100 shines IMO. You just over lap your clips where you want the dissolves and can shift-click the transition mark forward to make an instant dissolve transition... You can then move it around as if it were it's own clip. You can also double click it to change the type of transition it is.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on May 17, 2005 at 4:11:37 pm

That is "shift-click-drag forward" the transition mark. Just to be clear.

Return to posts index

matt short
on May 18, 2005 at 9:10:52 am

I don't understand why you don't just edit on FCP?

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosaedi
on May 20, 2005 at 7:26:03 pm

addressing the long-import problem:

how are you importing your clips? if you are doing a file-import, there is a checkbox that says: "import files to the media standard and compressor". Do NOT have that box checked. It seems like instead of directly accesing your fcp files, it is re-encoding them using the 844x codec... that is totally unneccesary. FYI, even when it does a "instant" import, m100 still seperates the audio and video into individual accesible files. So, if you check your media folder, there will be 3 files for each clip: V, A1, A2 (if necessary).

Correct me if i'm wrong... i know for a fact i have done instant import with final cut DV footage in M100 HD, is there no support for realtime playback on SW?

Also, you cannot check and uncheck your audio and video tracks for your clips if you are trying to modify them from within the timeline. To do so, you must double click your source clip from a bin, mark your in and outs, select which tracks you want then drag from monitor window to your timeline, or just press f12 to place it where your CTI is parked.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]