MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Running QuikTime 7 seems to cause problems...

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinRunning QuikTime 7 seems to cause problems...
by on May 13, 2005 at 4:54:30 pm

...with Cleaner and Squeeze (and possibly other compression software). Basically as soon as you try and encode a M100 QT movie both Cleaner and Squeeze crash.

I reinsalled QT 6.5 and all is now well again.

Anyone know what the problem is?

Andy

Return to posts index

Chad ValkRe: Running QuikTime 7 seems to cause problems...
by on May 13, 2005 at 6:26:49 pm

Andy,
Read the Pro Apps Hub and you'll get the summary. Basically Apple has a knowledge base article up saying that Cleaner 6 has some problems with h.264 in QT 7. Not surprising as Discreet seems to have idled Cleaner development to a halt.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301495

I had not heard about a Sorenson problem. This is the first I have seen of it surfacing. Right now you are on of the brave souls that attempted QT 7 very early.

Chad E. Valk
Assistant Director,
Video Production
Central CT State University

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: Running QuikTime 7 seems to cause problems...
by on May 14, 2005 at 12:14:29 pm

Thanks for the link Chad.

Squeeze would display the QT image but crashed as soon as I tried to encode. At least Apple make it easy to uninstall and go back to QT6!

It is a shame Discreet does not seem to be developing Cleaner for the Mac - it's a good reliable product.

Apart from Sorenson there does not seem to be much else out there that will encode MPEG, WMV, MP3 etc. on the Mac.

Andy

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2005 at 12:24:02 am

True, but if you happen to have a nice PC around Procoder is a very nice product. I find it handy to dump off long encodes to the PC and let Procoder crunch them while I work away on other stuff on the Mac. Current Mac solutions everyone seems to favor include Sorenson Compression Suite, Flip 4 Mac (WMV conversion/transcoding), abd Bit Vice for MPEG 2.

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2005 at 8:41:46 am

Thanks Chad.

I've been thinking about getting a PC for a while now as there does seem to be more encoding choice and as you say it vcan get on with it whilst i do other things.

I'll try Flip 4 Mac.

I do use BitVice for MPEG 2 and it's pretty good but the best MPEG-2 encoding I have seen for the Mac is MediaPress from Wired. It transcodes QT files and they are perfect - no softness or luma/colour differences from the original. It aslo does realtime encoding at very hgh quality.

Andy

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2005 at 12:09:07 pm

Not familiar with Media Press, but I believe I heard it was a hardware solution,,,correct? I own one of Optibase's 200s cards on a PC workstation and its realtime image is fantastic.

Return to posts index

by on May 16, 2005 at 12:42:22 pm

It is a hardware card so not cheap but quality is great. I had a difficult piece of 3D animation to encode and both BitVice and Compressor both showed artefacts but MediaPress was perfect - you get what you pay for I guess...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]