Dave Patterson
Really bad M100 cold-call yestarday
on May 11, 2005 at 7:20:39 pm

I

Return to posts index

Chad Valk
Re: Really bad M100 cold-call yestarday
on May 11, 2005 at 8:17:38 pm

As you will see in my below post I had the same type of call...I agree with your description
http://www.creativecow.net/forum/read_post.php?postid=111571563995684&forum...

Chad E. Valk
Assistant Director,
Video Production
Central CT State University

Return to posts index

steve bayes
on May 12, 2005 at 10:40:26 pm

Dave,

We have just hired Beth to follow up with all of the people who expressed interest in Media 100 at NAB. She has worked as an editor and does understand video and NLE, but she is new to telemarketing. Please be as patient with her as you would like people to be with you during your first week on the job. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Steve Bayes
Director of Marketing/Product Marketing
Media 100/Optibase

Return to posts index

Chad Valk
on May 13, 2005 at 6:43:41 pm

Steve,
As someone that received a call from Beth I agree with you about patience in getting someone up to speed on the telemarketing. Frankly though the approach may have been better had it been set up to have her identify that she was an editor early on....gives some "street cred" when she calls. My problem unfortunately though was if there is going to be outreach it has to be something new. I attended the Roadshow in the fall, I was called twice since then and asked whether I had seen HD yet or been to a show. I would have thought you'd have that on file somewhere?

I earlier on asked about 100i development, possible V9 etc...then I got off that soapbox when I heard the rumored software product was coming. A great move forward yes...but. So I asked Beth about SW "hopefully by fall" was the response, no commitment to a price point either. Then the pitch to upgrade to HD for $7k minus a $1k hardware trade/loyalty discount. We, the proverbial last of the Media 100 editors are swimming in FCP and Avid Express seats around us and our bosses are asking, "why do you want $7k for an editor upgrade"? It just gets really hard to justify. If I can at least...minimally say, "hey, in the fall Media is releasing SW for $299/copy" we can build on that.

Our Communication Department has 9 FCP stations running and they just coughed up money for 4 Avid Express Pro w/MOJO systems and new PC workstations to run them on. To replace....4 Media 100i's. Had I been able to say, wait for SW and get 4 for say less than $1500 total it would have saved those seats. My two 100i systems are still chugging along, but again I keep getting that reminder from the bosses that they are now the only ones left here. Both Panasonic and JVC announced new cameras at NAB with price points for later '05 release...why can't Media 100 give us a ballpark to play in regarding SW?

Hopefully this feedback is seen as more constructive than it is a rant. As you can see I love the system and want to stay with it (as I have for 10 years now), but reality sometimes kicks in hard when the bottom line is involved regardless of how much you like something.

Thanks for listening............:-)

Chad E. Valk
Assistant Director,
Video Production
Central CT State University

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on May 15, 2005 at 5:09:06 pm

I've been a very loyal owner since V4. And like many of us, want and/or need to have HD available to us. But, $6-7K. to upgrade is totally outrageous! Considering the alternatives out there. And especially with M100 being on (IMHO) shaky ground. I don't think any of us would be truly surprised to hear the doors slam closed.

Listen-up M100, make it $4K and you just might get more of us 'old-timers' from bailing left and right. And, it just might let you guys keep your big-dollar, cushy jobs too.

Ernie Santella
Santella Film/Video Productions
http://www.santellaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Arthur Dent
on May 16, 2005 at 5:09:33 am

Make it 4K and you'll buy? Maybe they should pay you to purchase it...?

I'm sure that their pricing structure is largely dictated by the Cost of the HARDWARE, the overhead of salary it takes to pay people to produce, support, market and sell it.

Now I'm not saying that media 100 is doing a bang up job here, but making blanket demand to lower to a given price and you'll buy is pointless and to the people that work at m100 perhaps a little offensive. How would you feel if your clients demanded that you do your work for 1/2 of what you would actually need to charge to stay afloat before they'd consider going with your services?

I've personally been in the position of this 'new' person who's at media 100, and sometime the people I've had to call upon were less than kind. Please keep in mind that you've got another human being on the other end of the line who did not create the mess she's in (nor did very many of the people who are LEFT at m100 today) they are simply dealing with it's aftermath and trying to make the company better!

More has happened to the Mac product from Media 100 since optibase has gotten a hold of it than the ENTIRE TIME that John Molinari was at the helm. You can't add all the features that people are looking for into an existing piece of software overnight and still maintain the level of stability that users have have come to expect.

Now, I'm not a cheer leader for Optibase either. I think what they did to 844/x and to the people at media100 is shady at best. Whether you agree or not, 844/x was IMHO a truely amazing peice of engineering that had untold potential ahead of it, and for lack of vision or comitment, Optibase simply killed it. Tragic.

Okay, rant over...

Peace

Return to posts index

Ernie Santella
on May 16, 2005 at 3:48:48 pm

Arthur,

It's all a matter of being competitive. As there are other options available for considerably less money, why should we stick with M100? Sure, we're all comfortable, and would have to suffer through the learning curve of a new system But...

One, Why pay well over double the cost?
Two, M100's brand name isn't a big drawing card to clients.
Three, Getting screwed like 844/X users.
Four, The possiblity of them going out-of-business.

It just doesn't make sense to me. If I were starting out now, I'd look elsewhere.

Just my 2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]