MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Workflow question

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GregWorkflow question
by on May 9, 2005 at 7:14:36 pm

I've been wondering this for a long time, but have never asked. How do many of you work on a long format project. I'm working on a long corporate training video with over 150 shots including role playing scenarios, reaction shots, reverse angles over the shoulder, etc. All footage comes off of 3 camera tapes. How would you set up you bins and why? Would you create different programs? As a long time linear editor, I really have never organized my NLE edit sessions the best way. Any toughts? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd at UCSBRe: Workflow question
by on May 10, 2005 at 5:35:34 am

Hi Greg,
The funny thing about this post, is that every editor has their own style. What might make sense to one person, will not to another.
That being said, you, obviously, understand that there is some value in organizing your project from the begining. How you organize your bins and project, is determined a lot by how you like to cut?
For me, I usually will cut the entire show with no cutaways, graphics, etc., then go back and add them as needed. Cut a very basic show and build up from there. Plus one of the first issues when cutting shows for us, is the length. So this way I'll find out how much time I have to work with.
For a show like yours, I would keep it as separated as possible, bins for cutways, bins for over the shoulder, grfx, wide shots, role playing, etc. It is very helpful once you start building the show and need to look for shots. I will also color code my clips when needed. Green is a used shot, blue unused, yellow used 1x but more avaible, etc. Then I can list the bin by color and quickly find shots I haven't used. Whatever works for you.

Another approach that I've been using lately is cutting parts of the show in different programs. When you have longer shows with lots of video, grfx, sound, etc, it can be very easy to get lost. Also, it's very easy to bump your clips out of sync and not know it when it's further down the timeline. It also allows me to focus on that part of the show without worrying about what happens in a hour from now. Although this is easier to do with some shows and nto others. Unfourtunatly I'm not infront of my Media100, so I can't remember if it allows one timeline to be placed in another?? But that's a big help when working this way. Like with FCP, I'll cut each segment, then drop those timelines into one Master timeline.
If you're use to more of a linear style, than this approach may not be for you?

There are many more options than that, but just to give you an idea.

FWIW - Good luck,

Todd at UCSB
Television Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved