MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Moving Company fighting me on lost harddrives and files

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DigitalGeorgeMoving Company fighting me on lost harddrives and files
by on May 6, 2005 at 3:42:18 pm

I'm a Media 100 user. I just moved from Sacramento to Seattle. The Moving company lost my electronics including two hard drives and 30 cd's and dvd or original artwork, graphics, animations and EDL's from various projects. They belong to myself and better half, Debbie, who is a Graphic Designer.

The insurance company does not want to pay anything for the missing artwork and digital files. They claim it is not our property because it was created for clients and that the clients have that property. We have not yet responded because I wanted to get feedback or find a group that can help us.

I believe the files are not in the hands of clients since the digital files were on the hard drives and it would take those files to re-create or add on to the 'look' a client already has. The insurance company also does not take into consideration the portfolio factor of those files. More than I, Debbie lost ten years of original artwork and design. She was depending on those files to help her find new work here in Atlanta.

What are some of your thoughts. Also is there an organization which can help us draft some kind of legal response that reflects the realities of this industry?

Thanks for the input...DigitalGeorge in Atlanta

Return to posts index

DigitalGeorgeRe: Moving Company fighting me on lost harddrives and files
by on May 6, 2005 at 3:43:01 pm

I meant to say moved to Atlanta.

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: Moving Company fighting me on lost harddrives and files
by on May 6, 2005 at 4:31:54 pm

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss.

To me, what the insurance company is claiming just doesn't sound right. I'll ask an entertainment attorney here in Los Angeles later today to see what he thinks.

You should definitely draft a strong letter with a clear explanation of the value of that work. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I do remember having to make some choices (with regard to digital media) when choosing my insurance options for my company. They may, or may not, have addressed this type of thing in your policy.

I'll post back if I learn anything that might help you out....

...but you should start listing all those things you lost and ALL the ways they are valuable to you and your wife.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved