MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Importing Avid EDL

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GregImporting Avid EDL
by on May 6, 2005 at 2:48:18 pm

I have a client who has asked me to translate their show from English into Spanish including all on-camera dialogue (which is 99% of the show with a on-camera narrator). I had asked them for a split track master so I could keep put voice music and sound effects on 1 audio channel, and add the spanish track to the other track. They do not have a split track master They say they can provide me the following:

The Avid Edit Decision List (EDL)
The mixed Master
The original tapes which would include line cut and iso reels
Background animation for the factoids
The graphic icons
Layered Photoshop graphic images.

Return to posts index

Al J. MarschkeRe: Importing Avid EDL
by on May 7, 2005 at 12:42:55 am

Avid EDLs will work. Most are saved as CMX 3600. Everything should redigitize fine. PSD file import would depend on there original size.
Without seeing it my guess suggestion would be to bring files into Photoshop and resize before import into M100 720.
It appears they are providing everything you need.

Al J. Marschke
BluMars Media
Pittsburgh, PA

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: Importing Avid EDL
by on May 7, 2005 at 4:40:37 am

Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't you still going to have to completely re-mix all the audio of the show?

If they did a pro mix, their should at least be an audio session somewhere (probably pro-tools). Will you now have to rebuild all the music mixes and sound effects too?

And yes, the EDL will work, but you'll have to rebuild the non-TC stuff like titles, still frames, effects rendered, etc.

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: Importing Avid EDL
by on May 7, 2005 at 4:44:23 am

Oh sorry... didn't answer you other question:

When you import EDL into your program, it will populate your timeline with the entire cut (obviously with no media linked). You can then select batch digitize and you will online reel by reel. Stuff (like graphics) that you don't have a reel for will be left unlinked, and that is where you'll have to start recreating stuff. You'll also likely have to remix the whole show.

Return to posts index

GregRe:thanks AJ and Michael
by on May 8, 2005 at 1:23:30 am

one other question. Do you jsut load the edl from CD onto the desktop and imort it into m100i?

Thanks for your help

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re:thanks AJ and Michael
by on May 8, 2005 at 5:41:33 am

you can import it from anywhere really...

File:Import (select the type of edl)...

I haven't done it in about a year... but I used to do it a lot. It was usually a CMX 3600 I believe.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved