MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

What is best way to store music for easy access to projects?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerome RobbinsWhat is best way to store music for easy access to projects?
by on Apr 27, 2005 at 3:16:26 pm

I often use the the same music for different projects. I just re-import them each time. How can I set up a bin to hold the music that won't be deleted when I delete the media it was used in?

Thanks,
jerome

Return to posts index

FlohRe: What is best way to store music for easy access to projects?
by on Apr 27, 2005 at 4:16:58 pm

A good way would be to create a "music" project and bin. If you import the music in this project the media files will sit in the Music project media folder. If you open the bin in one of your work projects the files will relink, but if you delete your media folder from the work project the music files will stay on the HD in their project media folder.

Return to posts index

Chad ValkRe: What is best way to store music for easy access to projects?
by on Apr 27, 2005 at 7:33:44 pm

I've done just what Floh described. You set up a regular project(s), but that project remains on the machine indefinitely. When I worked in cable and had to add a number of donut spots to tapes that came in I simply inserted them all from M100. I had a "Commercial" project and a "Music" project and neither of those were deleted, unless I had to add or remove material from them.

Then when you go to work on a new project, you simply open the bins from say Commercial, or Music or whatever, use the material and that material does not register as being owned by that new project. Therefore when you delete the new project you still retain the reusable Commercials and Music media and pointer files.

Chad E. Valk
Assistant Director,
Video Production
Central CT State University

Return to posts index

Jerome RobbinsRe: What is best way to store music for easy access to projects?
by on Apr 28, 2005 at 6:34:35 am

Thanks for the explaination.
I have one project I haven't trashed yet and it has about 20 music files in its bin. I assume I can export them to the newly set up Music Project Bin to be used later.
But when I find the media to be deleted from the original project I will need to be sure to uncheck the audio box or these selections will be found and deleted too.
I will give it a go,
Thanks

Return to posts index

Chad ValkRe: What is best way to store music for easy access to projects?
by on Apr 28, 2005 at 5:28:22 pm

It's clunky, but yes export self-contained and then re-import into the new project.

Go into the media folder for project 1 and drag the files to the trash (don't empty). Open project 1 and you should get all of the bin icons with missing media. Open project 2 and you should still see the files because they were imported under the new project. You can then trash all of project 1's media and the exported files. As your media drives will now have this important media on it make sure to do a back up soon so you don't lose them.

Again, clunky, but it will get you going in the right direction for media management. Whenever you start opening bins and programs within other projects it gets confusing and ultimately mistakes are made. This way you'll simply export, import and done.

good luck

Chad E. Valk
Assistant Director,
Video Production
Central CT State University

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]