MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

encoding media 100 file

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyleencoding media 100 file
by on Apr 26, 2005 at 4:15:51 pm

Hi all,
These questions have probably been posted before, but I have been trying to figure out the best way to burn a DVD from Media 100 and I have a few questions.

Currently, I export my 1-hour documentary as a media 100 self-contained movie. Then I have tried to bring it directly into DVD Studio Pro 3 and encode it there, but I have a nonspecific error that comes up when I encode over night. That is a problem I am trying to figure out. While I'm trying to figure that problem out, I have tried to encode it in Quicktime Version 6.5.2 It looked like it will take about 26 or more hours to encode it as follows:

two-pass
drop frame
6.0 variable rate with 7.5 as the highest rate
bottom field

This takes way to long, but I will do it if I have to. This test got me asking another question to myself. Why doesn't Media 100i Version 8.2.2 have an mpeg2 option under quicktime when exporting from Media 100? or do they and I am missing it? It doesn't make sense that I have the option to convert to mpeg2 in the quicktime program and not through Media 100.

How does everyone else convert to mpeg2 from media 100?

Any help will be greatly appreciated or any links to other information on this matter will help.
Thanks,
Kyle

Return to posts index

FlohRe: encoding media 100 file
by on Apr 26, 2005 at 4:27:57 pm

You definitely should use Compressor. Install the software codec and then follow the directions of this document. You don

Return to posts index

mhhRe: encoding media 100 file
by on Apr 27, 2005 at 11:53:34 am

To pick up on this post.
I have to use a friends laptop to encode M100 ref files (the media files needed are on an external drive) through Compressor.
Encoding time seems long, so checked in the QuickTime folder and found Media 100 Transcoder.Component , Media 100 componant, Media 100HD Video Output.component , Media 100HD.componant.
For using Compressor, do I need all these?
Obviously there is no M100 hardware on or connected to the laptop, so can or should any of these be deleted?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2005 at 12:00:20 pm

You don

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2005 at 3:01:21 pm

Many Thanks Floh
I will suggest your speed increase solution.
I aprove.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2005 at 4:12:13 pm

Is the Transcoder the old software codec?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 27, 2005 at 4:14:22 pm

The Transcoder is the old "half" codec. It only allows to read Media 100 i files, and it does not support alpha channels.

Return to posts index

Chad TateRe: encoding media 100 file
by on Apr 28, 2005 at 4:33:09 pm

I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded and installed the codec, read the M100 info and followed it. Didnt move the hardware codec, skipped that part, as suggested.
Compressor give me a "Failed:" . No explanation, or error code. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 28, 2005 at 4:38:54 pm

Chad,

have you installed the software codec on a Media 100 i system? Then you definitely should remove the hardware codec as explained in my document. Otherwise Compressor will not encode your files.
Have you tried if Compressor works with other (non Media 100) movies? Maybe there is something wrong with your Compressor installation.

Return to posts index

Chad ValkRe: encoding media 100 file
by on Apr 28, 2005 at 5:30:11 pm

Damn, that's scary that there are two Chad's "hanging" out here :)

Chad E. Valk
Assistant Director,
Video Production
Central CT State University

Return to posts index

Michael C.Re: encoding media 100 file
by on Apr 27, 2005 at 5:21:16 pm

Have you tried dropping a reference file into DVSP3? I'm pretty sure I've been succesfull with this many times.

Return to posts index

Chad ValkRe: encoding media 100 file
by on Apr 27, 2005 at 7:58:31 pm

Kyle,
Try using the reference export instead, that will save you time and space. Not sure why you are getting the error. Floh's suggestion to use Compressor is a good one. If you want the video to look better download and purchase (not that expensive) Bitvice for your Mac. I encode on a PC using Procoder with the Media 100 self contained file (personal preference and workflow, not to mention Flip4Mac didn't exist yet!).

p.s. Always test with small files, say a 30 second spot, that way you can debug over and over before you go for the massive 1 hour encode/transcode.

Best of Luck!

Chad E. Valk
Assistant Director,
Video Production
Central CT State University

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]