MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

M100 sw Public Beta --- Real time issues

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael C.
M100 sw Public Beta --- Real time issues
on Apr 21, 2005 at 11:35:58 pm

Just installed the sw beta on my G5 Dual 2.0 (OS X 10.3.9) with 2.5gb RAM.

For some reason I don't get any real time effects... Even dissolves are yellow and have to be rendered. All I did was drag some Media 100i lossless media into some bins... they imported great and play great. The software interface is sooooooo much faster than my old G4 running 8.2.2... I can't wait to get the M100HD version installed on my new dual 2.5 G5...

...but... What's up with the lack of real-time? I'd think that would be something they'd want to show off. Am I missing a setting or something... Anyone know what gives? Oh... I am playing the footage of the internal G5 drive.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael C.
Re: M100 sw Public Beta --- Real time issues
on Apr 21, 2005 at 11:42:28 pm

Also, what is that ARROW that points up and shows up for a split second everytime you single click on a clip? This is new to me and not in 8.2.2. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

john buck
Re: M100 sw Public Beta --- heads up
on Apr 22, 2005 at 2:11:07 am

just a word of warning to all users before you rush into HD SW Only

make a copy of any project or prgram from 8.2.2 that you intend to use
once it opens in HD SW and is saved it will not re-open in
your old faithfull 8.2.2. (or below)

other than that, a great release

it works on your powerbook, with at least 1gb RAM
and you can ingest via imovie or fcp dv if you dont have M100 rushes to
play with

john
velocite.net

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Apr 22, 2005 at 2:10:39 pm

Do you have "Vertical render" turned on? This is probably the arrow you getting from vertical render...

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Apr 22, 2005 at 7:25:16 am

Media 100 HD and sw use a new color coding for realtime/non-realtime settings. Blue dissolves with a yellow bar on top are realtime as long as your CPU is fast enough, and they should play fine in your timeline. If you use "render all" the system should not render the dissolves. Here is a document explaining the new color coding in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on Apr 22, 2005 at 5:13:57 pm

Thanks Floh... I actually checked that document out last night while searching the M100 knowledge base looking for answers.

But my processor should be fast enough to do real time 8bit lossless/uncompressed dissolved right? Dual 2.0 G5 - 2.5gb ram... should be fine.

I'm not getting real time dissolves or even the flip horizontal/vertical. Even putting one moving alpha in a lower third drops frames.

Is there a setting or something I have to do to get it running correctly?

(I didn't know about vertical rendering... that is probably what that arrow is linked with... What is the arrow telling me?)

Thanks a lot,
-Mike

Return to posts index

Floh
by
on Apr 22, 2005 at 6:21:33 pm

Dual 2GHz should give you quite a lot of realtime performance. Are you sure your drives are fast enough to play back the clips?

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on Apr 22, 2005 at 8:37:39 pm

No, I'm not sure... I'm using the internal ATA... I could try hooking up a firewire drive just to see if its the drive.

Drive speed is the only thing I can think of too... I just thought that the internal should be sufficient for at least one layer of real time.

Return to posts index

pfriedli
on Apr 24, 2005 at 5:59:38 am

Hi,
Check your media settings. If aou are running media 100i codec it should just work fine on the internal SATA drive but if your codec is HD (as default) it will be too slow.

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on Apr 24, 2005 at 4:07:39 pm

How do you change the codec setting?

I did install the M100HD codec on this system before I got the software beta. I have tested running off of both my internals and they are both slow... When I use a firewire 800 (Lacie Bigger Disk 1TB) things do run real time (at least up to two layers).

But where would I change the codec setting default?... oh, wait... I think I know what you mean... in media settngs, change the drop down? I think I've tried both... I'll check again. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on Apr 25, 2005 at 4:41:50 pm

I don't think this could be it because you can't import alpha objects unless it is in the Media100HD setting.

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on Apr 25, 2005 at 4:40:48 pm

So after running off of the firewire drives, I do now get real time dissolves... And maybe one title with alpha... but that is it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]