Bright Blue Sky Productions
4811 Rivoli Dr
Macon, GA 31210

http://www.brightbluesky.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Hughes
Re: Media 100 News from NAB?
on Apr 20, 2005 at 12:34:56 pm

right under your post is "news from NAB" check it out.

Return to posts index

Nick L.
on Apr 20, 2005 at 10:33:53 pm

All I found there was an announcement about Media 100 supporting Tiger. I may have missed something - that's a long list. I was more interested in the general "buzz" at the booth.

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.1
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Apr 21, 2005 at 3:22:46 am

The "general 'buzz'at the booth" is that Media 100 is dead. Somebody should really call this one in already, they had the media 100 section tucked away in the back of the optibase both, practically no one is there, they have one machine and one 844/x with absolutely nothing interesting to talk about. It's a pretty sorry state.

Return to posts index

Nick L.
on Apr 21, 2005 at 4:24:27 am

Ouch! I was being naive and hoping there would be a decent amount of interest in HD. While the HD product seems pretty slick (from what I've read) I can't really afford to buy it and have them fold up in less than a year. It would be nice if someone dedicated to the Media 100 had/would purchase the company.

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.1
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on Apr 21, 2005 at 5:42:13 am

I don't know about that. I stopped by the "Optibase" booth a number of times and while it is true that there was only the one G5 (showing M100HD & hardware), a Powerbook with M100HDsw and an 844x system, there was always a nice group around the HD system.

I'd say most of the interest came from past and present M100 users, but there was definitely interest. Even the M100 reps seemed to be surprised that there were always people waiting to ask questions...

...granted, it was nothing close to the large (but somber) crowds at Avid and really, really large (and excited) crowds at Apple. But still, there was some interest.

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out why the Media 100 HD card costs so much more than the Kona2 card. I was under the impression that there were some advantages... I couldn't figure out what they were. In fact, Kona 2 can do 4:4:4 HD while M100 HD cannot. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Return to posts index

Nick L.
on Apr 21, 2005 at 2:49:01 pm

Why were the Avid crowds "somber?" I can understand why the Apple crowds were excited - they definitely have the momentum right now, but I still don't like FCP's media management.

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.1
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on Apr 21, 2005 at 4:41:17 pm

I think it may have been the fact tha Avid was RIGHT NEXT TO Apple where so much "new" was going on. Their demos were exciting and there was pretty regular loud applause coming from the Apple area.

Also there are some extremely upset Avid Mac users who feel like Avid has all but abandoned the platform. Avid is about 1+ year behind in addressing it's Mac featues. The best the Mac folks have heard is "quarter 4" there will be some more "Mac stuff". Avid seems to be making the decision to concentrate on "high end" and very expensive products and giving up on competing for the hearts and minds of "editors".

For this show (NAB) Apple did it right... They timed A LOT of new releases to be shown first... That's hard to compete with.

Return to posts index

Micajah
on Apr 22, 2005 at 8:45:39 pm

I felt sorry for the AVID presentors - every time I passed they would have maybe 15 - 25 people in their seating area - and right across the isle, the 100+ seating area at APPLE was packed with standing room only and people spilling into the isle.

Also dissappointed at Optibase's placement of the Media100 area - on the backside of the large booth. Almost seemed like they said "We really want to sell our encoders but,well - if we have to include them lets just stick them back there". They really needed to set-up a audience demo area and show-off what the HD system can do. It didn't seem to imply that Media100 was a strong entity. Either to me or other potential buyers in the crowd.

Return to posts index

Nick L.
on Apr 22, 2005 at 8:54:04 pm

I wonder if Optibase made an effort how the HD system would do? It seems to me it is only going to be attractive to current Media 100 users at this rate.

This probably isn't the proper forum, but did Avid have any Pinnacle gear implemented into their booth?

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.1
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

Michael C.
on Apr 22, 2005 at 9:09:13 pm

No Pinnacle stuff from Avid yet.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>