MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
avrilMedia 100
by on Apr 4, 2005 at 8:54:12 pm

hello,
im a new media 100 user and am having dificulty using after effects with the program. I have put after effects alias into the quick launch but still cant seem to get my program into AFX. I just want to use my video background with a moving logo over top of it. I have tryed just exporting the moving logo then importing it into the media G track many times with different settings, for example, quicktime with alpha channel using media 100 codec. One time i got it to work in the graphics custom settings but after i rendered it into the track i didn't work. I also would love to know how to use an in and out point, without audio tracks, to bring into AFX. Im use to Avid where i can select just the picture with in and out points and make a reference to take into AFX. I'm very frustrated, if anyone can help me i would really, really appreciate that.
Avril

Return to posts index

FlohRe: Media 100
by on Apr 4, 2005 at 9:18:37 pm

If I understand you correctly you are trying to get a moving logo over a video background. Is the animation of the logo created in AE?

Depending on the version of the Media 100 system you are working on there are several ways to do that.
If your Media 100 i system (I guess you are speaking about a Media 100 i system) is running on OSX, I would at first suggest installing the software codec on your system. This will speed up AE rendering dramatically.

If you have AfterEffects installed freshly on the system, you need to install the AE import filter into your AE folder. Inside your Media 100 i folder there is a folder named "AfterEffects plugin" or something similar. Copy the file that is in this folder to the AE folder->plunins->standard->format->fpf.
Now if you export a timeline from Media 100 i (File->"export to AfterEffects" in Media 100 i) you can import that into AE, keeping all your clips intact, so that you can extend them.
Or you can export your timeline as a by-reference file (in Media 100 i, select your timeline and choose File->export; there select video and audio if you need it, and select "By Reference"). This will create a ref file that has links to your original media files. This file can be imported into AE as a long clip; e.g. as the background for your logo.
Another way would be to render out your logo from AE into Media 100 i codec. Make sure that you render into Media 100 PAL/NTSC or PAL720/NTSC720, depending on your timeline settings, and set depth to over 16million colors to include an alpha channel. Also make sure that you render out RGB+alpha, straight from AE. If you now place this clip in the G track and render that over the video in Media 100 i, the logo should be keyed over your video with its alpha channel.
Media 100

Return to posts index

avrilRe: Media 100
by on Apr 5, 2005 at 12:19:53 am

Thank you very much for your help, i will try you suggestions. I'm starting to like the media 100 as i learn more things about it. Im runing OS 9.2 on a G4, i think its a G4, im new to Mac as well. I was also wondering about the audio digitizing. I can only take in tracks 1 & 2, then i have to go back and take in 3 & 4. Is this normal? what about when i'm finally done this project, how am i going to put all 4 track out? Hope to hear from u soon. Thanks for ansering so fast the last time, that was really great.
Avril

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2005 at 7:08:12 am

Yes, Media 100 i does only support stereo audio I/O. If you are working with 4 tracks, make sure that your tracks are arranged on the timeline correctly (A1 on track 1, A2 on track 2,...). If you are mastering to a DigiBeta deck, disable the tracks 3&4 on the timeline and Master to Tape. You will have now tracks 1&2 and the video on your tape. Go back to your timeline, enable tracks 3&4 and disable tracks 1&2; connect the Media 100 out to the 3&4 in of your deck, Master again, this time audio only (Insert Edit). During the preroll time of the deck, turn off the audio tracks 1&2 on the deck and turn on the tracks 3&4 (the audio track selection buttons on the front panel of the deck).

Return to posts index

AvrilRe: Media 100
by on Apr 5, 2005 at 3:40:40 pm

Hello again, Floh...
I tried to do to export the logo out then into the media 100 with all the settings, it seemed to work but then when i rendered to G track it did not apear. Werid. So i just used the in house effects to move the logo, looks kinda cheesy but it will do. I'll keep trying i guess. But now i need to place some text , moving as well, over the moving logo..... what do i do? There are no more available tracks to do so on. This is driving me crazy, why cant i make another V or G track? Is this even an option? I'm an intern and this is taking so long I dont think that he's going to hire me. Maby you can help me, I really hope so.
Avril

Return to posts index

by on Apr 5, 2005 at 3:44:51 pm

[Avril] " why cant i make another V or G track? Is this even an option?"

Not on Media 100 i on OS9. Media 100 i V8.x under OSX has multiple graphics tracks, and Media 100 HD has multiple realtime video/graphics tracks with Alpha channel support.
For more layers you really should do that in AE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]