FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects or Unity ?

COW Forums : VR (Virtual Reality)/360º Video

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Reverend
After Effects or Unity ?
on Aug 12, 2017 at 7:49:22 pm

I have a project of 360° video with no interactivity in it. Well this is what I think because the 3D sound will need to be used in a way that at some point of the movie the viewer will hear a strong noise on the west side and will have to turn his head in that direction to see something hapenning. Is it supposed to be interractivity in a certain way?
I ask all that because I need to define if it can all be done in After Effects or Unity.
Thanks

Alex

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects or Unity ?
on Aug 14, 2017 at 5:11:07 pm

You're describing ambisonic audio.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambisonics

You can't do this in After Effects (Ae only supports stereo audio), but there is new ambisonic workflow for Premiere:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/VRSupport.html

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Alex Reve
on Aug 14, 2017 at 5:27:39 pm

Thanks Walter. I only knew about 'binaural' and didn't know about ambisonic.
The use I need to make of it is with headphones, so in stereo I imagine. And specially sounds coming from above (west directions : planes). On Wikipedia it is written that in stereo Vertical information (from the Z channel) is omitted. So I imagine binaural is not a solution for me.
I tested years ago a binaural demo with headphones and the vertical information was there, so I imagine it is possible. Do you more about that?
Thanks by advance.
Alex

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 14, 2017 at 7:23:57 pm

[Alex Reve] "I tested years ago a binaural demo with headphones and the vertical information was there, so I imagine it is possible. Do you more about that?"

There are some stereo setups that simulate surround-sound, but I'm not sure that's what you really need here.

[Alex Reverend] "at some point of the movie the viewer will hear a strong noise on the west side and will have to turn his head in that direction to see something hapenning. Is it supposed to be interractivity in a certain way?"

The audio needs to be placed correctly in absolute 3D space, so that the viewer perceives it as coming from the proper location, no matter which way their head is oriented.

The audio portion of this does not need to be interactive; you can do it with video and an ambisonic audio solution as above.

You could also do in with an interactive platform like Unity, as a localized sound-emitting object, positioned in 3D space near the object that the viewer is meant to see.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Alex Reve
on Aug 14, 2017 at 8:18:54 pm

So you suggest, because of that sound effects, that I make the 360° movie on a software like Unity, instead of After Effects?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]