FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slo Mos are pretty crappy

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Vick
Slo Mos are pretty crappy
on Apr 12, 2006 at 3:24:35 pm

I have a Kona LS with a KL box. Using FCP 5 and os 10.4 Everytime I create a speed change, forward or reverse, the effect is terrible. The video jitters. Coming from Cinewave, the Kona product is not as good here. Should I be doing something different? I am using Beta SP from an 1800 capturing Kona 8 bit. All I do is select the clip and adjust the speed. Even a reverse without speed change is nasty.

bob

Bob Vick sr promo guy @ ch3 wwmt tv, kalamazoo, mi

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
Re: Slo Mos are pretty crappy
on Apr 12, 2006 at 3:43:24 pm

Bob,

I don't believe this is a hardware issue, as we are using the AJA boards and get great speed adjustment playback in forward and reverse(no jitter). The software is determining how the frames are being thrown to the hardware so in reverse the software has to interpet various items to do this smoothly. The point is, it is entirely possible, hardware wise. *This is a custom software application.

I would suggest calling AJA support to see if they can lend a hand, their hardware is pretty amazing.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 12, 2006 at 6:06:59 pm

FCP has notoriously awful slomo.

You might want to make sure all of your frame blending etc., is turned on in your sequence settings.

What is the source footage? 24P slow downs look worse than 29.97 stuff, etc.

a few more details might help.

Then of course you could always use AE to slow shots.

David

Peace and Love :)

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
on Apr 12, 2006 at 6:34:54 pm

Beta sp shot on beta cameras or stock footage beta doesn't matter. I will check that blending is on.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 12, 2006 at 8:02:28 pm

I have also found that speeds that are specific iincrements. 75% 50% 25% look a bit better that "fit to fill speeds. It seems like QT files are a bit better when they are slowed down this way and in those increments. 34.21% sometimes does not look as good because of the interpolation.

Just a thought.

David

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
on Apr 13, 2006 at 2:50:23 am

Yeah...I stick to the main numbers as well. There was a suggestion in the FCP forum (i posted this issue there too) about nesting.

bob

Return to posts index

weevie833
on Apr 13, 2006 at 1:39:13 pm

If the jitter you are referring to is field flicker on pulldown frames, then remove the PD in AE, render, then re-import. Or, as posted previously, re-render in AE at the speed you have decided upon in the edit. When we shoot timelapse stills and prep them in AE to render QTs for FCP, we re-render any clips that were speed changed in FCP in AE so that line integrity is preserved as much as possible. Same applies with digitized media too.

BTW, I haven't noticed a pulldown removal plugin with the default settings in FCP. Is there a 3rd party plugin for this?

steve covello
double wide post

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Apr 13, 2006 at 1:47:01 pm

Steve,

If you are capturing FW then there is an option to remove advanced pulldown on capture. FW sees and removes these frames leaving you with the 24P content to edit natively.

David

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Apr 13, 2006 at 4:45:00 pm

Steve,

The pulldown does make sense but not sure that's the only contributing factor. For us 24 material plays very smooth (forward and reverse) and we do have material with pulldown that also plays well.hummmm

We simply could not reverse the image and expect smooth playback, code was implemented to do this and if the code is poorly implemented to play offspeed forward then reverse will be even worse. I would still have to say this is a code issue, not a hardware issue. We all know there is good and bad code just like there is good and bad hardware, thank god for workarounds.....

Keep pushing to get the issues resolved :) I know if we can get it done using this hardware, others must also.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Apr 15, 2006 at 3:14:51 pm

BOb, since your footage was shot on Beta, don't listen to all this pulldown talk (although it's good stuff to know about). If you slow motion is looking really bad, you can try re:vision's twixtor. It's a pricey solution, but it works. You can slow footage wwwwaaaaaayyyyyyy dddddooooowwwwwnnnnn, and have it look pretty good. Also, Compressor supposedly has an optical flow solution built into it, but I've never tired it. You have to fiddle with the settings and turn on a bunhc of options. It will take a while to render though. the cool thing about doing it in compressor is that you can continue editing while it's processing aaway. Good luck and let us know what you find.

-----------
G5 Dual 2Ghz <> 4GB RAM <> FCP 5.04 <> Kona 2
ATTO 42XS <> Huge Systems 4105 Fibre
OS 10.4.2 <> QT 7.0.4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]