FORUMS: list search recent posts

why purchase Kona 2 instead of Decklink?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jandro
why purchase Kona 2 instead of Decklink?
on Nov 14, 2005 at 4:24:48 pm

What does Kona 2 do that Decklink Cards won't do?

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: why purchase Kona 2 instead of Decklink?
on Nov 14, 2005 at 7:14:31 pm

Jandro,

These kinds of questions can create havock on a thread. For a feature comparison of the two products you can most likely visit each web site.

One thing I can comment on is the excellent custome support that you receive with Kona products and a three year warranty.

I do not own a decklink product but I have used them. I also own and Aurora video systems Pipe Card.

The Kona has a few obvious features over the decklink but the main question is what your workflow will be.

David

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 14, 2005 at 8:08:04 pm

the frustration of these questions is that this question is asked over and over and over on the AJA and Blackmagic forums. And rather than simply scroll down, and read the answer to this question on this very forum, from several months back, you would rather simply ask, without doing simple research - which is to simply read THIS FORUM's posts (you will find your question about a month ago, about 2 months ago, and 3 months ago, and 4 months ago - discussed over and over).

So I have a question for you - why purchase Decklink over Kona 2? What do you like?
Why not Aurora?

I feel that I have the right to give you a smart ass answer, as you have not specified what you want to do - do you work with VHS material, or Sony SR5500 HD material? What do you expect your system to do - no matter what card you buy?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Walter Biscardi
on Nov 14, 2005 at 9:55:31 pm

I tested a Decklink HD Pro and a Kona 2. Ordered a Kona 2 and about 6 month later, added a second Kona 2.

As others have noted, just do a search on this forum and the Decklink forum to see what others have said and then make your own decision. I would always recommend the Kona 2 over anything else out there right now because it works, it's a professional product, and support is outstanding.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

"The Rough Cut," an original short film premiering December 7th in full High Definition in Atlanta.
rsvp@biscardicreative.com to reserve seats.
http://www.theroughcutmovie.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Nov 15, 2005 at 11:43:02 pm

I would always recommend the Decklink over anything else out there right now because it works, it's a professional product, and support is outstanding.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Nov 16, 2005 at 12:03:14 am

If its a toss up between two, take the advice from an engineer at a hire company in England who now recommends using Blackmagic cards as they were tired of people phoning up with problems with Konas

My experience
1) Sometimes when the machine boots it won't recognise the Kona2, thus FCP defaults into DV mode
2) VERY patchy when connected to a reference signal
3) In three weeks of editing, another editor couldn't layoff accurately to tape.

I've got a rock solid Blackmagic and I've just added another to my shop LOL!

All seriousness, as has been said before, these things are now so cheap does it really matter?
Just bare in mind the Intel switch possibly in January - I'd hang fire until Steve's keynote ;)

And if you want to talk of support, who's supporting my KonaSD card?

Just trying to get the playing field level

Peter

Now editing the feature "BEYOND THE MARGIN"
-THE LIFE AND WORK OF JOHN A.ALONZO

http://www.peterwiggins.com

Return to posts index

Jandro
on Nov 16, 2005 at 3:49:48 am

The difference here is that the DeckLink HD Pro 4:4:4

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 16, 2005 at 5:05:22 am

[Jandro] "The difference here is that the DeckLink HD Pro 4:4:4

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 16, 2005 at 12:05:54 am

[Graeme Nattress] "I would always recommend the Decklink over anything else out there right now because it works, it's a professional product, and support is outstanding."

But not yet shipping a PCIe version for mac (at NAB Post Plus)

Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Nov 16, 2005 at 12:12:25 am

Blackmagic aren't the first people to take a bit of time to get a product to market.....

Graeme

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Nov 15, 2005 at 6:45:08 pm

Your question is not complete, because you have not said which Decklink card to compare to the K2. But I can tell you one thing the K2 can do that no DL card can do, and that is upconverd SD to HD.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Nov 16, 2005 at 12:09:20 am

See......

this is what i was talking about......

Don't be surprised if this thread disapears.......

david

Return to posts index

Jandro
What card, for what system, Mac or PC
on Nov 16, 2005 at 4:34:43 am

Which card would you recommend for either platform Mac or PC. I'm referring to the DeckLink HD Pro 4:4:4

Return to posts index

Walter Biscardi
Re: What card, for what system, Mac or PC
on Nov 16, 2005 at 4:48:34 am

[Jandro] "
Which card would you recommend for either platform Mac or PC. I'm referring to the DeckLink HD Pro 4:4:4

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 16, 2005 at 1:39:18 pm

And I thought that I was childish ! It is MOST interesting to observe that whoever gives the best support makes the best card. In the US, AJA has the best support - I have no idea of how you may (or may not) suffer with a problamatic AJA card in Europe. I am sure that Blackmagic support is teriffic in Australia.

I primarily use AJA products, however there is nothing wrong with Blackmagic products, as Walter has pointed out. To state that Blackmagic cards work, and AJA cards do not, is pure and simple ignorance.

Making comparisions like "the Decklink that does 4:4:4 is $1000 is cheaper) is so insane, as anyone that can afford a Sony SR5500 VTR, and doing a 4:4:4 job, is not worried about one thousand dollars (that's the first hour of the film transfer) - and you can't use $1000 of storage for 4:4:4 HD material anyway.

This forum is pro AJA, and I put a HELL of a lot of AJA Kona 2 cards in - no one complains, and they work wonderfully. But Blackmagic is good too. Want to suffer - buy an AVID Adrenaline HD, and see what support is like for this product. Then you will have something to complain about.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Walter Biscardi
on Nov 16, 2005 at 1:47:00 pm

[Bob Zelin] "Want to suffer - buy an AVID Adrenaline HD, and see what support is like for this product. Then you will have something to complain about."

I was wondering how long it would take for AVID's "famous" tech support to make it into this thread.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
http://www.biscardicreative.com

"The Rough Cut," an original short film premiering December 7th in full High Definition in Atlanta.
rsvp@biscardicreative.com to reserve seats.
http://www.theroughcutmovie.com

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Nov 16, 2005 at 3:01:46 pm

Bob, that's a very balanced post! Thanks!

Graeme

Return to posts index

Chris Poisson
on Nov 20, 2005 at 2:11:40 pm

Bob,

Amen to AJA's support, the best. Try calling Decklink's American support, all you ever get is a recorded message, with AJA you get a person, and they will usually walk you through to a solution.

If you were in Austraila, I'm sure it would be different.

Have a wonderful day.

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Nov 21, 2005 at 12:16:56 am

Well, I got a person when my HDlink power supply stopped working. And they got onto a local Canadian distrubuter who called me, put a new HDLink and power supply in the post asap for me (they were not certain whether it was the PSU or the HDLink that was down, so why not send both), and once that arrived the next day, I put the old HDLink + PSU back in the post to them. I had minimum possible downtime and spoke to real people throughout. There's no way the service could have been better.

Graeme

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Nov 16, 2005 at 2:51:25 pm

"If you plan to run Final Cut Pro (Mac Only) then the Kona 2 is the only card you should consider. " Other than the Decklink of course, which is also an excellent card.

I'm a Decklink user. I like their products. I bought my Decklink full price from a dealer, like everyone else. I'm not in their pay. I don't get special treatment from them, just very good service when needed. However, I won't ever say that Decklink are the only game in town, the only card worth considering. That's because AJA make good products too. Competition is good. I happen to prefer the Decklinks, and I certainly prefer their lower prices. I know you have issues with the Decklink, but that's no reason to completely dismiss it out of hand like that. I will recommend the Kona2 to people who need that one particular feature it has which the Decklink lacks, and as long as they're not running really long SDI cables, they'll be fine. However, for everyone else, the Decklinks work, are cheaper, and don't have issues with long cables.

Graeme

Return to posts index

Gary Taylor
on Nov 16, 2005 at 11:47:20 pm

I think one thing that I think that I keep hearing about the Decklink cards is that downconversion quality is in question. I only hear great things about the AJA cards but it would be great to do a head to head comparison.
Gary

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 17, 2005 at 3:17:29 am

[Gary Taylor] "Decklink cards is that downconversion quality is in question. I only hear great things about the AJA cards but it would be great to do a head to head comparison."

all AJA products do their down-converts in hardware- that means realtime. no delay, no waiting.

Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 17, 2005 at 3:17:29 am

[Gary Taylor] "Decklink cards is that downconversion quality is in question. I only hear great things about the AJA cards but it would be great to do a head to head comparison."

all AJA products do their down-converts in hardware- that means realtime. no delay, no waiting.

Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 17, 2005 at 3:17:33 am

Gary Adcock
Studio37
HD and Film Consultation
Chicago, IL USA

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Nov 17, 2005 at 3:25:02 pm

Also, I'm not sure if Decklink can do 720p24 downconversion. Something to check into if 720p24 is part of your workflow.

-----------
G5 Dual 2Ghz <> 4GB RAM <> FCP 5.02 <> Kona 2
ATTO 42XS <> Huge Systems 4105 Fibre

Return to posts index

Ramona Howard
on Nov 16, 2005 at 5:19:00 pm

Jandro,

I would like to add that if your looking at doing mainly 4:4:4 then I would have to recommend AJA. Everything under that is really just a toss up, that is except for the up/down convert and the infamous jitter test....

AJA provided the board for some of the first 4:4:4 projects and is still rolling them out. I have yet to read of a huge project like Sin City done using a Decklink. The decklink products work well but the AJA products work amazingly well. Well worth the extra few dollars.

Like Bob and Walter said if your stepping into the 4:4:4 world then the 1,000 you save on the board won't get you as far as you think. I agree hard drives are inexpensive but there is a heck of allot more to it other than the drives.

Here is a link to our projects page in which both Sin City and Shark Boy were full 4:4:4 projects
http://spectsoft.com/wiki/Website/Projects

Best of luck and if I can be of assistance don't hesitate to yell.

Cheers,
Ramona

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]