FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Locating timecode break" error

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hdesign
"Locating timecode break" error
on Aug 28, 2006 at 6:05:25 pm

Hello,

I'm having a problem capturing video with my IO when the computer is in control of my BetaSP deck. I've never had this problem before (it's worked as expected for over two years) and I'm hoping someone here can suggest a solution. In Final Cut Pro, I can control the Beta deck as I review and choose footage that I want to capture, but when I start to batch capture the footage I've logged in, the machine rewinds to where the first clip on the list is and it starts to capture, then after a second it gives me this error message "Locating timecode break" and everything stops - and I must hit the escape key to bring me out of capture mode.

I've tried re-installing drivers and FCP (v5.1.1), trashing prefs, trying different tapes

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: "Locating timecode break" error
on Aug 28, 2006 at 8:36:10 pm

I had the same problem - I said "there is nothing wrong with these tapes !" - and after trying several tapes, and another VTR with the same problem - it wound up being that the DRIVE ARRAY had a problem, and was too slow. Run the AJA Kona system test, and report back your results. I bet it's your drives. Also please list exactly what resolution you are working at, and what drives you are working with . I had this problem with an XServe RAID with 14 drives ! If you are familiar with the usual error messages, you are now saying "this guy is crazy - slow drives report the dropped frame error message".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

hdesign
on Aug 28, 2006 at 9:05:06 pm

Thanks for you reply, Bob. I ran the Kona system test and the results were WRITE: 103.8 MBs and READ: 152.6 MBs (I believe it should be 200 MB sustained). I'm using a HUGE Systems Dual Max 600 GB Ultra-wide disc array through a UL3D pci card. I'm working at Uncompressed 8-bit resolution, at 720 x 486.

Ted H.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 28, 2006 at 11:09:33 pm

the write speed seems a little bit slow, but before I jump to conclusions, just for everyone's sanity, record about 20 seconds of video on your internal drive, or some FW800 external drive. You won't get solid results, but it should work for a little while (and then you would get the drop frame error with the internal). I want to do this to compare the results to your external HUGE drive array.

I hate pointing fingers (at the HUGE) if that is not the problem.

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

hdesign
on Aug 28, 2006 at 11:51:35 pm

Actually, I've tried the two internal drives I have and an external FW drive. I get the same error no matter which drive I go to.

Thanks,
Ted H.

Return to posts index

Morten Raarup
on Sep 16, 2006 at 9:01:41 pm

I have the same problem. I can't capture a clip over 20-30 min. It do not matter if i am loading in DV, DV50 og uncompressed 10 bit. It stops every time. I am also using a "HUGE" drive, and when test the speed - it's 200 M/s. I have tryed to put a decklink card from an other system in my G5, and then I don't get any drop outs - even when i capture 90 min. i uncompressed 10 bit.

Morten Raarup
On Off Line Postproduction
Copenhagen, Denmark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]