FORUMS: list search recent posts

Another AJA need

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Vick
Another AJA need
on Feb 2, 2006 at 6:15:00 pm

Seems that the playhead on a clip like my narration, does not line up with the waveform when playing the clip. If I step through the clip, then all lines up. Just seems that when I play it, the playhead is about 10 frames ahead of the sound. Happens in the viewer and the canvas. Really annoying when marking by sound.

what's up with that?

b

aja LO LA G5 dual 2 FCP5 Rorke Data and Medea drives os 10.4

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
Re: Another AJA need
on Feb 2, 2006 at 7:11:39 pm

It's due to the latency with outputting audio and video via firewire. You will find it corresponds to the number of frames delay you have set in your preferences.

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
on Feb 2, 2006 at 8:11:35 pm

Okay, but I need the delay to have the canvas window and the main viewing monitor match up.

b

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Feb 2, 2006 at 9:14:16 pm

There's an inherent delay in a firewire based capture device. AJA has cut this down to 4 frames. You need to go into the File > System Settings and then hit the playback control tab and change the frame offset to 4. This way your timeline, canvas, and external monitor should line up. You will not be able to get rid of the 4 frame delay between you trying to edit to music or cut on your timeline. You will get used to the delay.

There should be a special term coined for this delay, but there ain't.

Ain't, ain't a word.

Jeremy

PS I hate to say this, but the aja manual should be your friend. A lot of the things you are discovering are explained there.

-----------
G5 Dual 2Ghz <> 4GB RAM <> FCP 5.04 <> Kona 2
ATTO 42XS <> Huge Systems 4105 Fibre
OS 10.4.2 <> QT 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
on Feb 3, 2006 at 1:41:30 am

I just downloaded the manual. The other one was an install book. My audio is still not right. Must call a tech. I will read the manual. The delay thing when editing with a waveform drives me crazy/

b

Bob Vick sr promo guy @ ch3 wwmt tv, kalamazoo, mi

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Feb 3, 2006 at 1:46:36 am

It shouldn't be that bad, Bob. 4 frames, although you feel the lag, is not terrible. Maybe you have some other issues with your system. Do you have any other firewire devices hooked up to your machine?

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
on Feb 3, 2006 at 5:08:11 pm

I did have a Maxtor 250 gb drive hooked up but have pulled it after learning that AJA wants to be the only Firewire device on the G5 unless I get a card. But, for me a 6 frame offset is needed to have the NTSC monitor and the canvas monitor match up. Right nowe my problem besides the audio out of FCP not being right is I cannot get deck control. I have a 422 cable from the Aja to the Sony 1800 and I cannot get the two to talk to each other.

Looks like a call to Aja is in order.

Thanks

bob

Return to posts index

JeremyG
on Feb 3, 2006 at 6:22:45 pm

Do you have all of the latest drivers and firmware?

The drivers are up to version 2.1

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_Io_v2.1.zip

download those and install and make sure you install the firmware update too.

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/ProIO_ControlPanel_v1.1.zip

Installing is easy.

Return to posts index

Bob Vick
on Feb 4, 2006 at 8:31:28 am

Yes I do (on the drivers). I talked to a tech at AJA and he feels tha cable may be bad. BTW I just learned that the name is pronounced AY-JAY Heard it so many ways.

Thanks for the help

b

Bob Vick sr promo guy @ ch3 wwmt tv, kalamazoo, mi

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Feb 20, 2006 at 10:59:28 pm

You can have multiple firewire cards on your system, as I do on a G4 system and it works just fine. BUT remember, AJA IO has to be on a card by itself! It needs the ful bandwidth to operate.

Wayne Carey
wcarey@strikeking.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]