FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve Color Management: Gamma shift on SAME screen upon render

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jacob Altman
Resolve Color Management: Gamma shift on SAME screen upon render
on Oct 20, 2016 at 10:08:39 pm

Hi there,

I have a very simple requirement. I am grading in DaVinci Resolve 12.5 on the latest 5K Apple iMac (with default iMac Display Profile enabled). No external monitor attached.

All I need is for the rendered file to look the same as the images I see and grade in the Resolve Color tab... ON THE SAME SCREEN. All I care about is that what I see in DaVinci on the iMac, is reproduced in the file when viewing on the same iMac.

At the moment, when I bring footage into Resolve it looks much darker that it did in Premiere and when I grade it and render it out (whichever codec it seems), there is a big gamma shift and it looks brighter and washed out. I then have to go back in and crush the image and boost saturation, guessing along the way how the final image will look like when rendered.

I understand there might be a subtle gamma shift at the codec level, but nothing this extreme. I guess I’ve got wrong settings in the Color Management preferences but I’m not sure what to choose and the only drop-down available is “Timeline Color Space”... the others are grayed out

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Resolve Color Management: Gamma shift on SAME screen upon render
on Oct 21, 2016 at 3:43:45 am

Its probably the 0-255 to 16-235 conversion. You can handle it with color profiles or transfer luts.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]