FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Grading Tools - Too many? Opinions on FilmConvert, Lumetri, DaVinci Resolve, SpeedGrade, Red Giant, Denver Riddle, etc...

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Laughlin
Color Grading Tools - Too many? Opinions on FilmConvert, Lumetri, DaVinci Resolve, SpeedGrade, Red Giant, Denver Riddle, etc...
on Oct 5, 2016 at 3:23:44 pm

Overall, what tools or tool do you use, why, how, and learning curve for you? Pros, cons, or any thoughts?

So there are so many color grading tools out there. I got most of my basic color correction knowledge from Larry Jordan's FCP7 color correction tutorials, showing basics in color, scopes, and levels, which basics I learned easily transferred over into Premiere.

So now, I updated Premiere and have been using Lumetri, and wow!, it is simple and fun. Over the last year, I've been eye-balling "FilmConvert" for a long time, but never had a project to force me to buy it and use it. I have DaVinci Resolve, but have never used it on my Mac, or on any projects yet, partly because it feels very complex, and I get bored or even lost in some of the online video tutorials, as it is a complex tool for sure. In the past, I've used SpeedGrade and Magic Bullet "Quick Looks" - which are the 'drag and drop' filters, and that was fun for a while, so. In most cases, due to my limited skill and know-how, I get the basic color correction done using the "3-Way Color Corrector" or "Fast Color Corrector", inside of Premiere, and then, if I need to apply a look or a film "grade", I can sometimes achieve that look right inside of Premiere, even though it may take me a little longer.... I'm just wondering what the next step is in my color correction journey. Thoughts?

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, Utah
digitalchophouse.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]