FORUMS: list search recent posts

16mm Photochemical Generation Loss Look with DSLR footage 10-bit and up

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kk Akuoku
16mm Photochemical Generation Loss Look with DSLR footage 10-bit and up
on Sep 23, 2016 at 5:00:40 am

It seems that when trying to achieve the "Film Look" on digital these days, the few who really take their time to craft in are drawn to the clean, low contrast film negative style. I, on the other hand, want to replicate the look of a release print that has been through a lot of wear and tear over the years in terms of its color palate.

Hypothetically, I plan to do this using footage in either the BMDFilm or S-Log color spaces, since they already have the most filmic approaches to color from where I can see. In terms of LUTs, I'm waffling between ImpulZ and Filmconvert and I will most definitely go with Davinci Resolve for grading because of its intricacy (I did think about purchasing Color Finesse to do the trick, but the price tag turned me off quickly).

Can anyone who has a good enough experience handling both analog film and digital assist me in providing a sufficient workflow?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: 16mm Photochemical Generation Loss Look with DSLR footage 10-bit and up
on Sep 23, 2016 at 2:31:16 pm

your post confuses me. your statement about an old print through wear and tear would not be contrasted at all.
in fact, it would fade and tint towards magenta. usually, the cyan fades the fastest creating a pinkish, reddish hue.
also, wear and tear creates scratches and warping and now your heading down the path to damaged film.
i would research dye-transer process, bleach bypass, eastman color shelf life, film restoration etc to determine what you're actually trying to accomplish.

Return to posts index

Kk Akuoku
on Sep 23, 2016 at 4:24:26 pm

I actually looked into film restoration a bit last night and discovered a freeware tool that can ape the color schemes of different prints:

http://thestarwarstrilogy.com/starwars/post/2015/12/14/Dr-Dres-Magical-Colo...

It's primarily used by Star Wars fans who wish for their higher quality BRRips to match the look of, say, a 35mm print from 4 decades ago. I've been thinking about using it for my footage, but I'm still a bit iffy about it.

Also, I've thought about applying the dye process look from this thread: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/1017099#1017158

I say 'thought about' because dye process is different from what I'm aiming for, which is mainly a bleaching of skin tones and crushing of blacks topped with film scratches similar to the first picture in this link:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/07/35/fc/0735fc0044fd3a7dd007fe7a...

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 23, 2016 at 7:25:31 pm

that tool looks interesting but it won't make dslr look like film. it will rotate the magneta hue of blueray film back to pink hue film.

try AE's selective color effect. it is the same tool used in photoshop for color changing via subtractive color process. might be a bit easier to use than multiple layers of channels.

Return to posts index

Kk Akuoku
on Sep 23, 2016 at 8:00:00 pm
Last Edited By Kk Akuoku on Sep 23, 2016 at 8:05:15 pm

Will that help me out with the skin tones?

And, if so, can I use it with the tool that I mentioned earlier?

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Sep 23, 2016 at 8:53:10 pm

the subtractive process can greatly change any color including skin tones at 16bpc precision for high quality work.

that external software link says the LUT will work in davinci. if its iridas or adobe compliant, it will also work in premiere's lumetri lut and AE's apply lut effect. I haven't tried it so I don't know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]