FORUMS: list search recent posts

LG31mu97 calibration on Mac

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Loria
LG31mu97 calibration on Mac
on Jul 31, 2016 at 1:48:03 am

Hey everyone,
I do apologize if these questions have been asked before, However I have done some reading and I feel more confused than when I started....
Ok, so I have a classic Mac Pro with a nvidia gtx titan x hooked up to a LG31mu97-b via display port and I plan on grading a feature meant for cinema. (DCI-P3)
Im wondering if anyone on here uses this monitor and if anyone here has calibrated it? I was thinking about using an i1 display pro and renting lightspace CMS to do the calibration.

Is lightspace and a i1 display pro worth it, or would x-rite software suffice?
Should I calibrate the monitor to get as close to DCI-P3 (FYI its advertised as being able to get 97% DCI) or would it be best to just calibrate to Adobe RGB which it claims to get 100%
Does the LG 31mu97 have a way of applying a LUT, or do I calibrate to create a LUT to be used inside of resolve?
Should gamma be set to match within the calibration software as well as in display setting in OS X and on the monitor itself?
What kelvin?
Can/should I create an ICC file for OS X?
I tried to do a pre-calibration monitor setup for lightspace and ran into a problem. It seems while connected via Displayport 1.2, (in the monitors own settings), the option for something called "Black Level" is greyed out. According to the manual this option only works when connected via HDMI and can be set to "High" or "Low". When connected to Displayport it is greyed out and set to "High". I can't really use HDMI on this monitor because it can only do 25hz at full 4k, whereas display port gives 60hz on OS X. Problem was that when looking at brightness and contrast images on my screen and making the manual adjustment to my monitor, I could not bring in several steps of black as they were completely blacked out. But when connected HDMI and toggling between "High" and "Low" i was able to bring them in..

Should I just sell the monitor and get a different one? Perhaps one that accepts LUTS?

Thanks so much guys/gals this site has helped a lot, any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Tom Durham
Re: LG31mu97 calibration on Mac
on Dec 27, 2016 at 3:56:06 pm

Did you get any answers to your questions? I'm pondering a similar setup with the LG--need to monitor and output to P3 and Rec 709. (However I'll be on a Windows machine with GTX 1080 card.)

Thanks!

================================================
TOMDURHAM.COM
Writing, Indie Filmmaking
Sci-fi, Fantasy, Anything Else That's Cool

http://www.95ers.com
http://www.SpaceAceMedia.com

Return to posts index

Joe Loria
Re: LG31mu97 calibration on Mac
on Dec 29, 2016 at 1:53:35 pm

Light space has a quick start guide for dummies. Basically you download some sample images, do a few pre-setup manual adjustments to the display via its own controls. Then you use light space paired with an i1 display pro to take readings of your display. When it's done you can use light space to create a LUT that works inside of davinci resolve for monitoring while you are in the software. I believe it is called "display LUT" in resolves options. It's a cheaper way of going about it, rather than purchasing an expensive reference monitor or an external LUT box.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]