FORUMS: list search recent posts

Neutral Skin Tones

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kylie Murphy
Neutral Skin Tones
on May 19, 2017 at 7:41:30 pm

Hi there,

I'm trying to recreate a specific look from a film (Inside Llewyn Davis) and I can't quite get the skin tones right. The colorist of the film said this in an interview:

“I got rid of the blue channel, which I do a lot these days, and remapped the colors so that the skin tones had just enough of a twist to not be realistic, to be a little romanticized, like a memory. To desaturate the skin would look unnatural, so instead we bent the RGB curves of the negative so the skin tone would be completely neutral with Bruno’s exposure. It’s a very delicate thing to do.”

I cannot quite figure out how to bend the RGB curves like he talks about here. Does anyone have an idea as to how to do this?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Neutral Skin Tones
on May 20, 2017 at 1:19:49 pm

i pixel peeked from the trailer on youtube and got 155, 143, 128. which is in RGB. see 128 is 50% V(brightness value) in blue channel. red is 8% more than green. red and green make brown. so think of an ever so slight reddish-brown color.

depending on what color program you use(i started with a GH4 image that had moderate saturation)
I got the exact same pixels with AE by using:
hue/sat blue channel 0% (make blue grey)
master color balance HLS 12% clockwise (offset all colors to neutral)
RGB curves-red channel gamma 1.5% (give red-brown)
master saturation -26% (remove extra saturation if necessary)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]