FORUMS: list search recent posts

Luma Issues with My Feature for Deliverable

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mare Costello
Luma Issues with My Feature for Deliverable
on Jan 26, 2017 at 11:58:18 pm

First time feature movie maker here. I have a very specific esthetic when it comes to color (I like high contrast) and one of my scenes is meant to be almost completely white (see attachment for current look). Apart from this scene I'm getting several other hazards throughout the movie. Is there a way to work around this? I mean how do people create broadcast safe luma when it's part of the "style choice?"

Working in FCP7(please don't comment regarding my software choice). ProRes 422 HQ

THANK YOU

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Luma Issues with My Feature for Deliverable
on Jan 27, 2017 at 2:53:37 am

broadcast safe luma is 16-235 and chroma is <=240. it also depends heavily on what playback device you're using which understands this without using luts, or other transforms of gamma and color management. in ATSC land, which is HDTV, your 235 would be 100% white.
in youtube, it would be gray unless you made a separate color correction for 0-255 sRGB. Does this make sense?

Return to posts index

Mare Costello
Re: Luma Issues with My Feature for Deliverable
on Jan 27, 2017 at 3:43:20 am

Thank you for your reply Chris!

I'm creating this particular ProRes 422 HQ for a specific company for distribution for VOD and for a Blu-ray disc for a festival screening at an AMC theatre (they haven't given me anymore specs for the blu-ray but I suspect they have a decent projector).

Unfortunately, I don't understand how I can take "broadcast safe luma is 16-235 and chroma is <=240" and create the attached look as I'm GREEN to this part of the process. I was going to go through my timeline with the "range check" on for luma, then chroma and make corrections using the "color correction" option I've already been using and when the green check appeared I was going to assume I'm good to go. I see there are luma and chrome options in the color correction I'm using but ....

I still go back to the initial question "can I get the look of the attachment?" Is that possible by pushing the right buttons and so forth? I'll watch video or do what I need to learn more about how to get there and I have a c.c.ist who is going to check in with me in the next few days but my delivery date for the screening is fast approaching so every minute counts and the more I can do to move this forward the better (you know the drill).

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]