FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color for P3 then LUT to REC709, or the other way around?

COW Forums : Color Grading

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Durham
Color for P3 then LUT to REC709, or the other way around?
on Dec 29, 2016 at 3:35:35 pm

Big thanks to all the coloring geniuses for time/help.

I'm new to serious coloring, but slowly beginning to understand the process and equipment needed.

The little indie feature I'm involved with will be going to theaters for a limited run, then TV/web, etc.

I will really only have time to color it once, maybe just a few tweaks after that.

Should I:

1 - Grade it for REC709, and then just use a LUT to move it to DCI-P3
or
2 - Grade it for DCI-P3 and then use a LUT to move it to REC709

If I do #1, will I actually lose color information, thereby limiting the beauty of the P3?

Whichever direction I do, if I'm able to find a good "transformer LUT," how much tweaking might be expected?

(PS. I'll be shooting 6k RED RAW, 4k timeline/master, editing on a robust Windows machine in Adobe, outputting 10-bit via Blackmagic, monitoring on the best reference monitor I can possibly afford, calibrated to whatever color space is needed. )

================================================
TOMDURHAM.COM
Writing, Indie Filmmaking
Sci-fi, Fantasy, Anything Else That's Cool

http://www.95ers.com
http://www.SpaceAceMedia.com

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Color for P3 then LUT to REC709, or the other way around?
on Dec 29, 2016 at 11:10:32 pm

1. for most people, grading in rec. 709 and translating to P3 will be
"good enough" as they usually didn't take advantage of the available brightness/
colors from the camera while capturing/storing. All the rec. 709 colors will "fit" inside the P3 so there's no surprises.

A lot of RED guys still redcine-x to a compatible redcolor/redgamma to rec. 709 for easy calibration. redlogfilm gives a slightly log look and gives more grading options.

2. if your grading software can understand P3, then you can grade more colors into your master. A possible downside is doing the conversion incorrectly, as you have to map/compress colors down to a smaller gamut. An upside is that you can later master out to Rec. 2020.

if your grading software/monitor doesn't understand P3, don't try grading in it, you'll have quality control issues.

For distribution:
The Theatre DCP file will actually be a lut Rec. 709 to XYZ or P3 to XYZ 14 lamberts color conversion. The Tv will be a 16-235 rec. 709 gamma 2.2. and Web will be a sRGB 0-255.

Return to posts index

Tom Durham
Re: Color for P3 then LUT to REC709, or the other way around?
on Dec 30, 2016 at 6:27:04 am

Awesome info, Chris. Many thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]