FORUMS: list search recent posts

Catalyst Browser - why so difficult to use?

COW Forums : Sony Catalyst

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bala Chandran
Catalyst Browser - why so difficult to use?
on Aug 8, 2016 at 1:35:52 am

In my frustration I posted this on some Sony forum and thought will do that here too.

I make three copies of all my files, just in case. I usually have multiple cameras in one event. In the old XDCam browser top left window I will show the source card. In the bottom left I will have all HDDs listed and just twirl down my target folders on three separate HDDs and drag and drop the files to the three target drives/folders. Done. Change card and repeat.

In this Catalyst you will have to set the target folder first and then it will be hidden. Setting up is not easy either because the drive NAMES are shown first and drive LETTERS are hidden in the default pane width. To extend the width you have to very carefully find the exact point and then click down and drag (Windows!), which can be done after a few tries. Now browse to source files, select and copy. Then click the copy button, it will copy to the first HDD. To copy to the second HDD change target by going thru all the previous steps, set up target and let it hide. Copy. Do the same for the third copy. First SD card is done.

Change the card and go thru all these steps again for each HDD. It is not as easy as it sounds either because I will have to figure out WHAT folder the files can be copied to, root, XDroot or further inside and so on because it invariable comes up with error messages saying that it cannot be copied here! I have cards from FS5, X70 and AX53.

Why cant we have the structure at least as the old XDCAM browser? Am I the only one getting frustrated? Or is there another easier way to achieve this and I just don't get it?

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
Re: Catalyst Browser - why so difficult to use?
on Sep 2, 2016 at 4:08:06 am

I am so dumb I can't figure it out. How do I copy two cards of a continuous shoot to one location on the HDD? Try as I might, I can't. It won't let me copy the second card to the same location/folder. I can create a different folder and copy to that but then what is the point of this software as far as copying is concerned? In the XDCAM browser I can drag and drop one card to a location and drop more cards to the same location, even from a second XDCAM camera. Help file I couldn't understand. No video tutorial I could find.
I wonder if this is going to take "more than one night."

Asian Ocean Media
EX1|EX3|FS5|X70|AX53|D4|D750|CS6

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]