FORUMS: list search recent posts

CCing and Keying

COW Forums : Blackmagic Design Fusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Mannis
CCing and Keying
on Jan 30, 2020 at 12:44:47 am

Hi Everyone -
This is my first post, so in advance, apologies for any newbie moves, and thanks for any advice!!

I'm an AE guy getting up to speed in a hurry with Resolve / Fusion 16 for a new job.

I'm keying out green screen with Clean Plate and Delta Keyer, and getting pretty good results after a little bit of CCing.

HOWEVER - at this stage in the process, I need to leave the color untouched for now. So, my hope is to come up with a flow where I can 1) CC the original clip, 2) take my alpha from that, and 3) reroute it back to the un-CC'd clip, which will be my media out, and 4) color it all at once farther on down the line.

The bottom branch with BGIn and ColorCorrector1_1 are just there for eyeballing purposes and will be turned off so we can have transparent alpha back in the edit tab.

What I would love would be to run a second output from FGIn to the Media Out, that would get its alpha from the delta keyer. To a channel boolean? I'm not getting it working, and not finding a ton online about this particular issue. This is where my brain farts out...
Thanks again!!!!
-j

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: CCing and Keying
on Jan 31, 2020 at 12:17:09 pm

Use the Matte Control tool to recombine the alpha with the original clip: pipe the original clip into the Background and the Delta Keyer output into the Foreground and setting the Matte Control/Combine to Combine Alpha. Remember to turn on Post Multiply image other the result will be unpremultiplied.

This will give you an premultiplied output with alpha from the keyer back to the Edit and Color pages.

I'm surprised you are needing to CC before the Clean Plate Delta Keyer process - these are optimised to take your original untreated clip. If you are CC'ing you might be compromising the edge ... You should have all the control inside the Keyer to take care of most shots.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

Josh Mannis
on Jan 31, 2020 at 7:31:04 pm

Thanks Simon! The piece I'm working on is sort of in the "fine art / experimental" category, so the workflow has a some unorthodox needs. For example, the lighting of the edges of the figures is super inconsistent from moment to moment, hence my question before. I did have success with my channel boolean experiment - in your opinion, what would be the virtue of using the Matte Control tool?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 31, 2020 at 7:40:28 pm

[Josh Mannis] "in your opinion, what would be the virtue of using the Matte Control tool?
"

It allows you to control the premultiplication explicitly and provides additional matting controls.

If you're doing it with a Channel Boolean make sure you are multiplying the RGB by the alpha ... this is very important.

Simon Ubsdell

hawaiki

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]