FORUMS: list search recent posts

QNAP TVS-871T Permissions and Disconnect Issues

COW Forums : Storage & Archiving

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nate Haustein
QNAP TVS-871T Permissions and Disconnect Issues
on Jun 11, 2020 at 10:11:17 pm

My small team and I have been editing in FCPX from a QNAP TVS-871T for about 4 years now. It's been a great asset, but in the last 6-12 months I've been having more and more issues with odd Final Cut library behaviors, including force closes, and random disconnects. I've contacted QNAP support but they've ghosted me three times now when trying to remote in. I need help. And over the years, this forum has consistently been my #1 form of info on my QNAP system. Here goes...

Some background.
  • TVS-871T has 8x 6TB drives in RAID6. There is also a TX-800P expansion with 8x 6TB drives in RAID6. Each enclosure hosts a single big share folder.

• 2 Editors on Catalina Macs (OS X 10.15.5), connected directly to the 2x 10GBe ports on the TVS-871T via QNA-T310G1T Thunderbolt 3 to 10GbE Adaptors.

• Connecting to QNAP via NFS. Each editor has their own account and is also in the administrator group.

• Regularly update firmware on QNAP. Problem has persisted for a number of updates now.

• FCPX on latest version 10.4.8 and storing media inside the library.

• - - -

Not really having issues with initially connecting, but more so randomly disconnecting, or having FCPX give an error saying that it can no longer write to the library. This typically happens when creating a new event or project in the library. I'm trying my best to learn permissions but I'm pretty confused about how to go about setting and maintaining proper permissions.

For example, inside QNAP's File Station, some of the libraries have my own user name listed as the owner and permission as 777, but others are owned by "501" which is what I'm assuming to be FCPX over NFS? Really looking for guidance on this whole aspect of things, and how to maintain it over time.

It's gotten to the point where I've backed up all of my footage on external RAIDs and am prepared to wipe everything out and start fresh. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me start to sort this all out.

- - - -

P. S. I tried using SMB the other day and when opening older libraries that need to be updated in FCPX, it straight up sends the Original Media folder to the trash. I didn't have the network recycle bin set up on the QNAP TR-004 share folder I use for archive so the files were lost. Terrifying.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
    Re: QNAP TVS-871T Permissions and Disconnect Issues
    on Jun 12, 2020 at 1:19:47 pm

Hi -
    you should have been using SMB and not NFS since FCP X 10.3, when Apple started to support it.

Your disconnects to the QNAP are due to the macOS. I will call you in 2 hours, and give you the
    fix for your Mac's for this. You install the fix, and reboot your Mac. End of problem.

Call you around 11:00 EST.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
    Rescue 1, Inc.
    bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]