FORUMS: list search recent posts

Catalina and Synology NAS

COW Forums : Storage & Archiving

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Santiago
Catalina and Synology NAS
on Feb 19, 2020 at 3:28:21 pm

We have a dozen 2013 MacPros all running High Sierra.
So far so good but had to upgrade one of them to Catalina (didn't save a Mojave installer).
That lone MP is so slow using a Synology NAS server (RS2416+, DSM 6.1.5.x).
Of course, that workstation is upgraded to Adobe 2020 across the board so maybe that's the case too.
All High Sierra stayed back to Adobe 2018/2019.
I Googled this issue and only found connection errors.
That we don't have problems with.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Catalina and Synology NAS
on Feb 19, 2020 at 5:41:40 pm

Hi Eric -
it's not the Synology, and it's not Catalina.
If you have a 2013 6,1 Mac Pro and a thunderbolt 2 adapter like a Sonnet Twin 10G or Promise SanLink2, you MUST go into recovery mode on the Mac, disable SIP (csrutil disable)
reboot, then you can reload the 10G driver, reboot again, and now everything will be fast.
You should also turn of SMB signing.

The only adapter on a Thunderbolt 2 computer that just "plugs in and works" is the Sonnet Solo 10G T2, which is $199. This adaptor maxes out at about 400 MB/sec, so the older Sonnet Twin 10G or Promise SanLink2 will be dramatically faster - BUT you have to disable Apple System Integrity Protection (SIP) with csrutil disable in Recovery mode on the Mac.
The command to disable SMB signing in the file /etc/nsmb.conf is
[default]
signing_required=no
save it and reboot. You will be fast.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 21, 2020 at 4:40:11 pm

Thanks, Bob, now just to be clear, these Macs are connected via network.
I can get more info as to what it is but we def not in the same building as the server.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 21, 2020 at 6:07:11 pm

Eric writes - now just to be clear, these Macs are connected via network.

REPLY - all of these systems, no matter who makes it, are connected to a network.
You need to have control of the network, or you must have cooperation from the company, or school IT person, in order to get this to work. There is no guessing.

I always setup any system with two networks - the corporate network for internet, and a seperate 10G network. You need to know EXACTLY where these computers are connecting to . To a house Cisco switch that is all DHCP, or to a dedicated 10G switch, where you (or your IT guys) have setup all static IP addresses.

To respond - "well, I don't know, it just connects to another building, and those guys have the switches and the Synology server, and I don't know how they have it connected" - well then, nothing is ever going to get resolved.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 21, 2020 at 8:46:32 pm

[Bob Zelin] "To respond - "well, I don't know, it just connects to another building, and those guys have the switches and the Synology server, and I don't know how they have it connected" - well then, nothing is ever going to get resolved."

Haha I know, I know sorry about that.
I will need to talk to the network guys and see what the setup is.
I know that we are on static IPs and its super-fast (amazing upload speeds is the tell).
I hope to get back with some answers soon.
I had to ask this since we ordered two Mac Pro 2019s and have been pondering a complete upgrade to Catalina with all remaining 2013s.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 24, 2020 at 6:49:37 pm

Signed off SMP signing on all 2013 MacPros.
Of note, our Network Interface settings on NAS is 1000Mbps, Full and MTU 1500 across 3 LANs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]