FORUMS: list search recent posts

QNAP Jumbo Frames Keeps Resetting

COW Forums : Storage & Archiving

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Patrick
QNAP Jumbo Frames Keeps Resetting
on Dec 29, 2019 at 2:02:17 pm

I have Jumbo Frames set on my 10 GbE port to 9000, as well as my iMac Pro.

However, the Jumbo Frames setting on my QNAP periodically resests to what I believe is the default setting of 1500.

Is there a setting I'm missing? Or ...
Was this addressed in a later FW release from QNAP?

TS-873U-RP > QNAP model
4.3.3.0569 Build 20180501 > FW Version

I know I'm on a old release. But new FW does not always make life better.

Thanks.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: QNAP Jumbo Frames Keeps Resetting
on Dec 29, 2019 at 2:45:05 pm

Still running fcp7?
Still running OS X 10.6.8?
Update your firmware and report back
New firmware does make life better
And throw out that expensive Sony crt monitor. Its 2020!
Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 29, 2019 at 3:52:14 pm

wow, wow, wow, wow, wow -

Kevin was having this problem a while ago, and apparently I helped him at the time -

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/375/805

Kevin Patrick contacted me. There were 2 problems in his system causing issues, that resulted in his slow speeds.

1) the latest QNAP firmware is not working correctly with his QNAP TS-873U-RP. After several tests with different firmware, we finally installed QNAP QTS 4.3.4.0569 from May 1, 2018, and now he is able to select MTU 9000
on the QNAP 10G card.

SO SOMEHOW - -I installed QTS 4.3.4 back in 2018, and now, mysteriously, he is back to QTS 4.3.3.

How did this happen ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 29, 2019 at 8:05:44 pm

Hi Bob,

Yes you did help me a while ago. Thanks to you, I got my QNAP up and running. I am gratefull for help.

I recall we had issues with getting the performance up to speed and had to try more than one FW release. But, your memory is probably better than mine, since I don't recall where we left it at. If it has in fact moved forward, I don't know how. Pretty sure my box is not on auto upgrade. Plus, for a long time, the system was not on the internet, I only turned that on recently.

Since we had issues getting the right FW to work for Jumbo frames, I've been reluctant to upgrade to a newer release.

So, my work flow has been, check the Jumbo frames, set to 9000 if necessary, start editing. Followed by "I really need to figure out how to stop checking the Jumbo frames."

I looked through the release notes posted on QNAP for the past several releases and I couldn't find anything related to Jumbo frames issues being address. Though the site did not go all the way back (that I could find) to my existing release.

When I launch QTS, the alert notifies me of a new FW Update, Release 4.3.6.0959

Not sure why it recomends that particular release. There are 3 more releases of 4.3.6.x after that.

Then there's the 4.4.x releases as well. Not sure why it is ignoring those options too. I'm guessing they have a good reason for it?

I'm alway cautious about upgrading to the latest and greatest (unknow bug list) SW/FW versions. Having QNAP tell me to upgrade to a newer, but not not the newest release just makes me more nervous.

Bob, what do you suggest?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 30, 2019 at 5:07:16 pm

what do I suggest ? I suggest that you contact me, like everyone else in the video business does, who is using shared storage. Just like you did, in the past.

You are running (according to your post) very very old firmware - QTS 4.3.3.
I know for a fact (because I keep notes on all my clients) that I upgraded you to QTS 4.3.4. So I have no idea of you are assuming that you are running QTS 4.3.3, because you have not checked, or if you back rev'ed the firmware from what I did (QTS 4.3.4) to QTS 4.3.3. I have no idea of what is going on with your system.

The reason you are getting the message to update to QTS 4.3.6.0959 is because you can't do a direct update to the latest QTS 4.4.1. And once you do this firmware update to QTS 4.3.6, it will require you to do a "check file system" which takes about 3 hours, because your system is so old.
Once that is done, you will be running QTS 4.3.6.0959, and now you will have the option to update to QTS 4.4.1 if you wish.

I don't know when exactly you spoke with QNAP. The earlier versions of QTS 4.4.1 were not stable. The latest version of QTS 4.3.6 that was wonderfully stable is QTS 4.3.6.1070.
But QTS 4.4.1 has been out for a long time now, and it's perfectly stable. If and when you decide to update, you have to do this in stages - first to QTS 4.3.6 and then to QTS 4.4.1

This is no different than any computer based product from any manufacturer. Just look at Apple. There were 6 versions of macOS 10.14, and currently there are 3 versions of macOS 10.15 (we are currently at macOS 10.15.2).

Exactly what are you afraid of ? Things aren't going to fix themselves. The reasons ALL software have "dot" releases, and updates, are to fix issues. IF you are the person that says "I just want things to work, and just be left alone" - well, my friend, you are in the wrong business. Every manufacturer has constant updates, be it your iPhone, your Mac, your editing software, or your shared storage system.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Dec 31, 2019 at 12:36:15 pm

Once agan, thanks Bob for your help.

One day through the upgrade and Jumbo Frames holding strong at 9000.

Let's see how well step one of the upgrade goes over the next few weeks.

Kevin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 31, 2019 at 2:01:13 pm

I am always here to help you
Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>