FORUMS: list search recent posts

Storage & External Hard Drives

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Abbey Smith
Storage & External Hard Drives
on Feb 7, 2019 at 6:24:43 pm

Hello!

I am a graphic designer that works primarily in Ai, Ps, Ae. I know how to work the programs, but I'm not very techy or knowledgeable when it comes to computers, drives, knowing which drives to use so my computer runs quicker, and knowing where to store my files, etc. I work alone and I am at a loss. That's why I'm reaching out to you all.

I work on an iMac with 32 GB of memory (with about 600GB available). All my files are stored on my computer and in Dropbox. I have a 1TB Seagate external drive that runs a daily back up.

When working in Ae my computer drags, and I'm waisting a lot of my time waiting on files to load, update or save.

Would an external hard drive be beneficial for me? If so, do you have any recommendations? Is the external hard drive where I need to keep all my day to day files, and get them off my computer hard drive?

I want my computer to run quicker and I want to be more organized and knowledgeable about where my files need to be saved. If anyone can help me out or give me some pointers that would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Storage & External Hard Drives
on Feb 7, 2019 at 6:42:09 pm

it's not your storage.
Simple answer - switch to a Win 10 PC with an NVidia GPU card. Your Mac can't do GPU acceleration.
Other tips - go to Preferences> Media Cache.
Find the path for your Media Cache. Don't click clean - it's not good enough.
Manually go to that path /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Common /Media Cache
and delete all those files (with AE or Premiere closed). Then relaunch. I bet it's faster now.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Abbey Smith
on Feb 7, 2019 at 7:36:13 pm

Thanks, Bob. There wasn't a "Media Cache" in the Common folder. So I searched for it in Finder and found a Media Cache folder; however, there were only two files in it.

I've worked on Macs for about 12 years now, and just started working in Ae within the last two years. Do you know if the Adobe CC programs look the same, and are the key commands the same on PC as they are on a Mac? I'm a little hesitant to switch, but I may need to.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Feb 7, 2019 at 10:07:09 pm

once you are in the program, Premiere looks identical on Mac and PC.

I will get you more info on how to find the Media Cache folder in my next post.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
podcasts
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]