FORUMS: list search recent posts

Updading MBP to newer one with negligible internal storage

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mathew Farrell
Updading MBP to newer one with negligible internal storage
on Sep 12, 2017 at 6:59:17 am

Hi all

First off, apologies if this isn't really the best place for this. Mods, feel free to move this as appropriate.

I have a decent iMac as my primary edit station. My laptop is a maxed out 2010 macbook pro - 16 GB Ram, 750GB ssd, 2TB mechanical drive in the second slot (ditched the optic drive).

I'm about to upgrade the laptop, but it's going to be a frustrating for me going from internal storage to a newer model MBP with only 256GB internal. What are folks doing with such machines - always working tethered to drives with their footage? keeping the system so lean you can store project + footage on the internal one project at a time? Too much of a pain in the ass, that you don't bother with a laptop?

I guess I don't have any hard and fast questions, but I'm exasperated by the backwards move of limited internal storage, and curious how other people are dealing with that.

Mathew Farrell
flowstate.com.au

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Updading MBP to newer one with negligible internal storage
on Sep 13, 2017 at 12:18:24 pm

Hi -
Have you ever been on a professional production shoot ? Ever see a DSLR rig, with 10 million accessories, so that you can barely see the actual Canon camera, because there are so many wires, recorders, monitors, matt boxes, batteries, etc. hanging off the tripod you can't believe that there is a camera under all that mess ?

This is what your laptop should look like. It should be a disaster with every damn port filled up with all kinds of crap - monitors, thunderbolt or USB docks, chargers, drives, Blackmagic and AJA products, etc. hanging off your laptop. And if you had a Mac Pro cylinder, it should look the same way - like a spaghetti pile of crap hanging out of your Mac Pro, so if you sneeze, half your cables will get disconnected.

SO - when will this all change? When will the world exist, when you can sit with your nice clean MacBook Pro in a Café, and do uncompressed 8K editing on your laptop (over 10G speed WiFi) while you sip a cappucinno ? When you are a grandfather, that's when. In the mean time, buy a road case, like the rest of the professionals in the world, and load it up with your external drives, monitors, UPS, docks, card readers, etc, and spend some time in a gym, so you have the strength to pick up your 80 pound portable case to load in and out of your car (when you drive to your local coffee establishment to edit your videos). If people don't come over to your system in amazement, and go "Oh my God, what is all that stuff", then you are not a pro.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

greg janza
Re: Updading MBP to newer one with negligible internal storage
on Sep 13, 2017 at 4:01:23 pm

that bob zelin is a wise man.

A clean and efficient laptop setup just isn't how this business works.

I Hate Television. I Hate It As Much As Peanuts. But I Can’t Stop Eating Peanuts.
- Orson Welles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]