FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can not see my esata hard drive tower

COW Forums : Storage

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Stan
Can not see my esata hard drive tower
on Jul 9, 2017 at 2:21:37 am

I have a 4bay hard drive tower that I used with my 2009 Mac Pro desktop. When I tried to connect it using an esata to usb 3.0 adapter to my MSI Aegis 3 desktop I do not see the tower. Is there a way I can connect it?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Can not see my esata hard drive tower
on Jul 9, 2017 at 7:25:11 pm

you state nothing about your esata hard drive tower.
It is my guess, from your lack of any description that this was a PORT MULTIPLIER chassis, that probably had a Cal Digit Fasta eSATA card or a Sonnet eSATA card to run this RAID chassis. And USB3 with or without adaptor cannot run the requirement of the Silicon Image SIL3124 chipset that was used in all these port multiplier RAID arrays, so it's not going to see it. "Oh my - what should I do" - BUY NEW STORAGE. It's 2017, you probably bought this in 2009.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nick Stan
on Jul 10, 2017 at 1:23:06 am

Ok first it is a Mac Burly 4 bay Hard Drive tower connected to a PCIe card I installed in my 2009 Mac Pro Desktop. Second I did not buy this in 2009 and Third I can do without the wisecracks. Thanks for nothing Slappy.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 12, 2017 at 6:24:23 pm

Hi Nick -
sorry, but you bought a strange computer. It appears that the MSI Aegis 3 has an NVidia GTX-1070 and a second
PCIe card, that appears to be some sort of USB card, but I can't tell from the pictures. So YANK THAT OUT, and install
what I am guessing is the compatible port multiplier eSATA card -
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/temposatapro6gbpcie.html
Mac Gurus is not longer selling eSATA RAID arrays, or their corresponding cards (they do sell miniSAS, Thunderbolt and USB3 RAID arrays, but you want to use what you have). Your array is not being seen because you need a port multiplier card to do this. The 30 dollar ones for eSATA see single drives, not multiple drives, that work with the Silicon Image 3124 chip set, which is what I am assuming that you have in your Mac Guru's Burly package.

so try this -
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860827-REG/Sonnet_tsata6_pro_e4_TEMP...

and you will put up with my wise cracks, because no one else is interested in helping you.
Slappy

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nick Stan
on Jul 13, 2017 at 10:19:51 pm

Thanks there skippy. I already figured out what I needed to do. Have fun with your wisecracks there lunchbox.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jul 17, 2017 at 7:48:38 am

[Nick Stan] "Have fun with your wisecracks there lunchbox"

...says the guy with two first names. Bob is an invaluable resource. May you rise to his level, some day.

Return to posts index

Nick Stan
on Jul 17, 2017 at 9:55:28 am

Sure thing there Snack Shop. I guess you did not get the movie reference either.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 17, 2017 at 12:51:20 pm

It's ok. Nick does not like people to be mean to him. He will soon see what it's like to deal with clients that criticize his work, if he feels that he did an excellent job.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Nick Stan
on Jul 17, 2017 at 1:15:51 pm

Hey Now!

I have heard and dealt with plenty of criticism in my over 30 yrs in this biz. I tell all of those that take themselves and their work too seriously "we are not saving lives, and life's too short to sweat the small stuff" Thanks for the info. and you have a great day Mr. Bob.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jul 17, 2017 at 6:41:38 pm

I'm apparently not a hep cat like you.

But I'm okay with that, my ESATA tower works.

Return to posts index

Nick Stan
on Jul 18, 2017 at 10:14:38 am

Cheers to you dude with the two first names. Glad you can see your Hard Drives.

Have a great day!

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jul 18, 2017 at 2:21:12 pm

I'll have you know, I have two last names.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]